Duck feathers

I’m actually crying right now, I usually clean their cage every 2 days. I use pine shavings and straw on top of that. I’m so upset with myself I am not at all trying to do anything to harm them. They right now spend most of their time in their cage. They don’t have a coop yet but we’re working on it. I’m a first time duck owner and this is all new to me. I’m so sad I can’t believe I’m the cause of this.
Ducks can be a hard learning curve. Don't beat yourself up too hard about it. A lot of us have learned the hard way. Pekins are unfortunately a bit more difficult than other breeds in some ways. They can be a bit messier than other breeds.

With the warmer weather, taking advantage of using outdoor areas does help a lot. I have been able to not necessarily fully clean everyday, if I layered new bedding on top. But you still have to spot clean anything wet bedding. It also depends on how many you have and the space you have.

I use to make easy pens out of chicken wire and just some cheap fence posts. You can put shade cloth, bird netting or a tarp over it. It will certainly not be predator proof, but it does work well in a pinch. This is the best picture I have of the temporary pens I would use.
DSC_0544.JPG

I’m actually crying right now, I usually clean their cage every 2 days. I use pine shavings and straw on top of that. I’m so upset with myself I am not at all trying to do anything to harm them. They right now spend most of their time in their cage. They don’t have a coop yet but we’re working on it. I’m a first time duck owner and this is all new to me. I’m so sad I can’t believe I’m the cause of this.
Don't cry or get discouraged, you'll get some great solutions from others and get it nipped soon - whatever it is! Then you can post some updated pics of their feathery happy selves! 🤩

Let’s find a solution to the problem
Are you able to give them an outdoor area ? I used a dog run and added a kid pool so my young ones can bath and be outside from 3 weeks on ( weather depending ) mine are in a pen area inside at night and I use pine shavings that I clean every morning then when they come back in in the evening they have a clean pen to lay down
Ducks poo a lot so keeping it as clean as possible and allowing them bath time is really important
Here are pics of my set up
They are now starting to join the bigger ducks so they are not in the smaller pen as often
I have a bigger deeper pond as well as 2 kid pools and water dishes big enough my ducks climb in every now and then
Giving shade is important as well do like the other poster said tarp over part of an area will help
They also cool off in the pools
You can create a pen area for outside with all kinds of stuff
Chicken wire and posts to fencing , dog pens ect
I’m glad you came here and asked we have all had to learn at one time :)
I start bathing my ducklings 1-2 times a day starting on day 3 to make sure they are staying clean once outside they have access to pools all day and I clean out my kid pools every night
My pond every 4-5 days depending how much they use it
Although ducks are messy they really like to be clean themselves 😂

Attachments

• F4C6B61A-9BB5-4839-AE8A-D1D19D741963.jpeg
    F4C6B61A-9BB5-4839-AE8A-D1D19D741963.jpeg
    729.2 KB · Views: 1
  • C69E2174-2E11-4B21-B133-09F24F3DE978.png
    C69E2174-2E11-4B21-B133-09F24F3DE978.png
    6.1 MB · Views: 1
  • AE9E0BAC-6A3D-4137-B850-E92C31819C37.png
    AE9E0BAC-6A3D-4137-B850-E92C31819C37.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 5850F23A-0467-4925-8E90-22572DFEFA04.jpeg
    5850F23A-0467-4925-8E90-22572DFEFA04.jpeg
    521.8 KB · Views: 1
how big is the cage? Could you get a photo of their set up? When my ducklings were in a cage/brooder, I cleaned it out 3 times a day minimum- they're very messy and spill water creating a huge amount of poopy mess.
It really does sound like your babies have ammonia burns, I'd reccomend cleaning it out more, perhaps getting them a pen or larger space

@duckmama1970 I hope you are not feeling too discouraged. The ducks should be molting in about 4 weeks or so into their adult feathers, which should help correct some of the issues. They should make a full recovery when you correct the issues. Honestly, you are not the only one to make this mistake. A couple of my first Pekins started to get some burns. They were my first ducks, and unfortunately all the research in the world can't fully prepare for your ducks. I wish the best for you and your ducks.

Back
Top Bottom