Duck feed

duck19

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2020
My ducks who are about 6-7 weeks old, we aren’t completely positive, have been on Dumor’s Chick Starter. As they are nearing 10 weeks, i was wondering about the importance of the grower/finisher? Should i be feeding them this when they turn ten weeks or would it be detrimental to them to give them the poultry layer too soon? As i understand it, the largest difference between each stage of feed is the protein but answers found online have been very conflicting as to how i should progress them with their diets. I only ask as I have an extra bag of the Dumor’s Poultry Layer from chickens i previously had.
Thank you, any feedback is appreciated!

I would switch them to a feed designed for all poultry or for ducks specifically like All Flock, Purina Rasier, or Mazuri. Chicken feed contains too little niacin for ducks which often leads to leg problems. The feeds I mentioned above can be feed from hatch to point of lay, just provide a calcium source once they start laying. Welcome to BYC!

I would switch them to a feed designed for all poultry or for ducks specifically like All Flock, Purina Rasier, or Mazuri. Chicken feed contains too little niacin for ducks which often leads to leg problems. The feeds I mentioned above can be feed from hatch to point of lay, just provide a calcium source once they start laying. Welcome to BYC!

I believe it is an all poultry feed. I have also been supplying them with vitamin B supplements for a few weeks now as my Pekin duckling was beginning to turn its feet inwards, but it is is doing much better now and its feet have greatly improved.
i’ll look into those feeds if that is what you suggest, but i don’t think the Dumor i have is chicken specific.
thank you very much!

I was feeding Dumor for a long time before my vet basically told me it was crap food.

Recently, I bought Mazuri waterfowl and Purina Duck. The Mazuri pellets are a little large, but they are eating them. They also really like the Purina.

I believe it is an all poultry feed. I have also been supplying them with vitamin B supplements for a few weeks now as my Pekin duckling was beginning to turn its feet inwards, but it is is doing much better now and its feet have greatly improved.
i’ll look into those feeds if that is what you suggest, but i don’t think the Dumor i have is chicken specific.
thank you very much!

Can you give me a link of the bag you have?

I was feeding Dumor for a long time before my vet basically told me it was crap food.

Recently, I bought Mazuri waterfowl and Purina Duck. The Mazuri pellets are a little large, but they are eating them. They also really like the Purina.

i’ll keep that in mind. thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom