Duck feet - what is normal??

any idea what might have caused it?
Their feet are similar to your hands. Hard working hands out in the elements unprotected and properly cared for will dry out and crack. IMO, they need moisturizer and not water to help them heal. Triple antibiotic ointment, I would even dip their feet in coconut oil to help them from being so dry.

Pay attention to your hands as you use the coconut oil on their dry skin and notice the difference to your own......... Just as long as you are not allergic to coconuts that is? LOL Good luck and please keep us posted with pics. :)

To me, it looks to be just cuts and abrasions, likely caused by the bark that you're using in their coop. If people checked their duck's footpads more often, they *might* notice it looks like this right before infection. The cuts act as a gateway for the bacteria to enter, so it is something that should be taken care of before an actual infection starts.

I would first start by correcting whatever husbandry issue you think caused this, it sounds like you think that it was the bark bedding in the coop. Well, change it. After that, you could soak the feet in Epsom salt water to loosen the scaps and flaking, then slather an antibiotic ointment occasionally.

Their feet are similar to your hands. Hard working hands out in the elements unprotected and properly cared for will dry out and crack. IMO, they need moisturizer and not water to help them heal. Triple antibiotic ointment, I would even dip their feet in coconut oil to help them from being so dry.
The water with a Little salt is for cleaning and the cream I use, the one for cow udders is very Moisturizing and keeps the dirt from going in. As humans we sometimes use it before gardning too, and also after deep cracks in wintertime.

Oh, 416bigbore, I sent my housemate (bloke) to the shop to buy some coconut milk/cream for a Thai green curry - he came back with a large jar of coconut oil - what a plonka! It's been unopened in my larder now for months. Was about to throw it away but now will keep incase of need for duck feet! What a find!

Back
Top Bottom