Duck feet - what is normal??

To me, it looks to be just cuts and abrasions, likely caused by the bark that you're using in their coop. If people checked their duck's footpads more often, they *might* notice it looks like this right before infection. The cuts act as a gateway for the bacteria to enter, so it is something that should be taken care of before an actual infection starts.

I would first start by correcting whatever husbandry issue you think caused this, it sounds like you think that it was the bark bedding in the coop. Well, change it. After that, you could soak the feet in Epsom salt water to loosen the scaps and flaking, then slather an antibiotic ointment occasionally.
sorry I misspoke, the bark is NOT used in their actual coop (they have straw bedding) it just lines the barn that the coop is on, i.e. they walk across maybe a couple of metres of bark to get in and out of the coop, but yes I will definitely be removing it. thank you

sorry I misspoke, the bark is NOT used in their actual coop (they have straw bedding) it just lines the barn that the coop is on, i.e. they walk across maybe a couple of metres of bark to get in and out of the coop, but yes I will definitely be removing it. thank you
Let us know if there is an improvement. Ducks poop will literally show what they have been eating so easier to monitor

Let us know if there is an improvement. Ducks poop will literally show what they have been eating so easier to monitor
thanks everyone for the help:)
I've applied antiseptic (we don't have non-prescription antibiotic ointment here) healing ointment and coconut oil to each duck foot, cleaned out, sanitised and replaced all of the bedding in the coop and removed all of the surrounding bark.
I will continue applying the ointment for the next few days and keep you all posted!

side note, how the hell do you guys get your ducks to sit still for an epsom salt bath?! I've tried literally three different ways in the past 24 hours and failed miserably every time!!

I've applied antiseptic (we don't have non-prescription antibiotic ointment here) healing ointment and coconut oil to each duck foot, cleaned out, sanitised and replaced all of the bedding in the coop and removed all of the surrounding bark.
I will continue applying the ointment for the next few days and keep you all posted!

side note, how the hell do you guys get your ducks to sit still for an epsom salt bath?! I've tried literally three different ways in the past 24 hours and failed miserably every time!!
After reading this, I also starting wondering how to do it. And now I think I better check my ducklings' feet because we have been doing a lot of digging around in the yard and there are surely sharp rocks and tons of branches all over the place for them to get scratched on. I had luck this spring in getting my ducklings to stay in the water a longer time by making the water almost kid-bath water warm and putting floating lettuce treats in the water for them. I'm not sure how well treats would go over with the salt water though. But I've found I can't seem to keep my ducks from drinking water when they are in it. I dont know if "duck foot soaking" is just holding a duck in the water so that only their feet are in it? It sounds impossible.....if they see water they have to be IN it, they dont want to be held in it or restricted in it at all. And my forearms have seen the brunt of duck foot scratches....

How many ducks do you have? Would it be feasible to put them in your tub inside? Maybe just 2 at a time? I dont have a tub and had to take a plastic baby bathtub. Maybe if you prepare a fun bath time but secretly slip some salt into the tub, make it nice and warm for them, they might splash around and enjoy things without knowing that they are being "treated". As long as this is safe (please someone let us know!), I might try it this weekend.

After reading this, I also starting wondering how to do it. And now I think I better check my ducklings' feet because we have been doing a lot of digging around in the yard and there are surely sharp rocks and tons of branches all over the place for them to get scratched on. I had luck this spring in getting my ducklings to stay in the water a longer time by making the water almost kid-bath water warm and putting floating lettuce treats in the water for them. I'm not sure how well treats would go over with the salt water though. But I've found I can't seem to keep my ducks from drinking water when they are in it. I dont know if "duck foot soaking" is just holding a duck in the water so that only their feet are in it? It sounds impossible.....if they see water they have to be IN it, they dont want to be held in it or restricted in it at all. And my forearms have seen the brunt of duck foot scratches....

How many ducks do you have? Would it be feasible to put them in your tub inside? Maybe just 2 at a time? I dont have a tub and had to take a plastic baby bathtub. Maybe if you prepare a fun bath time but secretly slip some salt into the tub, make it nice and warm for them, they might splash around and enjoy things without knowing that they are being "treated". As long as this is safe (please someone let us know!), I might try it this weekend.

Epsom Salt acts as a laxative when ingested, so its best that they don't consume any. If you're having a hard time soaking, just set a kiddie pool up, put wire around it so the duck can't get out, and fill it a few inches high with plain warm water and just leave the duck in there to soak for a bit.

I have seen a plastic 5 gal. bucket used with a small hole cut into the plastic bucket lid just big enough for the duck to pop their head out as they stand in the solution. That seemed to work quite well I thought. Good luck! :)

I have seen a plastic 5 gal. bucket used with a small hole cut into the plastic bucket lid just big enough for the duck to pop their head out as they stand in the solution. That seemed to work quite well I thought. Good luck! :)
ohh interesting I hadn't thought of that. I'll just keep applying the ointment and keep a close eye on them for now but to me they're actually starting to look a bit better already which is exciting!

Back
Top Bottom