Duck folks - Please look at pics and opinionate.

chickensioux

Songster
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
Western North Carolina
22826_100_1484.jpg
22826_100_1483.jpg

I had this little call duck hatch about 2 weeks ago with his beak like this. He is growing, eating and drinking. What do you think? Will he survive? Will it get worse as he grows? His name is Stuart.

If he' or she is eating and drinking I'd give it all the time in the world. It's very cute and just might make it!

Last edited:
If he can eat and drink, and he is growing, and is otherwise in fine shape, I would keep him around - he is cute in spite of it. I would expect the bill would not just straighten out, but we don't know.

I have heard of ducks managing after serious bill injuries, so I would give him a chance.

I will give him every chance in the world. I won't make any decisions unless he/she appears to be suffering, which it is not. I just wondered if anyone had dealt with this or not. We named him Stuart which will stick no matter the gender. He appears to be very happy and not effected by it at all.

I once had a rescue duck that had a shortned top bill- and was advised to ensure it always had access to water- as its mouth would dry out very quickly without the top bill being normal- Apart from that- just to monitior weight to ensure it was eating enough. Unforunately there isnt alot that can be done to correct the bill that isnt very invassive - although I have seen a duck who was given a prosthetic bill after being attacked by a predator and lost more than half of its upper bill.

Hopefully little Stuart will find ways to compensate to manage to eat and drink as he continues to grow.

I had a duckling like that and she did very well I actually think yours looks better than her did. I would def it go and see how she does.

Back
Top Bottom