Duck food bowl

TheDuckieLover

Chirping
Apr 10, 2022
Hi all!!

I've recently had problems with my ducks' food bowl always attracting flies. The other day I went to empty it and found the bottom riddled with maggots šŸ¤¢. This is the first time that has happened, so that in particular isn't an ongoing problem, but I'm not anxious for it to happen again!! šŸ˜…

If anyone knows of a better container that I could use to put their food in to limit the number of flies that would be amazing!! (I'm using a round, uncovered pet bowl in case that helps :)

Thanks!!

If your duck feed is dry,,,, it should not attract flies, (very much) and breed maggots. I'm pretty sure maggots need wet to develop.
I suggest,,,,,,,,,, gauge the amount of feed your ducks consume daily. Then just put that amount into bowl daily. You can give them some additional,, if all feed is consumed before dusk.
I know,, that ducks drink water in deep style. That may be a source of moisture in your feed.
Consider doing this. When you remove feed for the night, don't refill bowl at that time. In the morning, drop the remaining small amount on the run floor. Then after some time, fill their bowl with their feed.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I made 5 gallon buckets into feeders with 3 inch pvc pipe pieces and keep them at least 6 to 10 feet away from the water so when ducks walk back and forth the water drips off the bill before head goes back into feeder, works good.
I also recommend trying Floating duck food, I get Mazuri waterfowl feed and they love it it goes in the water and floats on top . I put just how much they need for half day , twice a day. (morning and then 2 hours before bed)

Back
Top Bottom