Duck foot problem: help appreciated!

duckwrangler95

In the Brooder
Oct 28, 2016
Maryland, USA
My female khaki Campbell, aged 8 months, had a splinter in her foot a few weeks ago. Kept it clean and wrapped for a few days so it could close up. Now there seems to be swelling where splinter was, but it isn't swelling up like a bumble would. It's just kind of swollen. She doesn't put all of her weight on it; her limp is very subtle (Another duck died recently, so I've been kind of nutty about watching her).

It looked like this last week:

Now, it looks like this:

I've been trying Epsom salt baths/soaks, but it doesn't seem to be helping. There isn't pus that's coming to a head at all. There isn't any exposed skin or injuries as far as I can tell. It seems as though the swelling is an extension of her pad, but when I press on it you can feel two distinct bumps/swollen areas

Thanks in advance!

I can't help but wonder if it's not still some kind of staph infection related to the splinter. While it may not look like a textbook bumblefoot, I'm not sure what else it could be.

Tagging @Amiga and @Miss Lydia in case they have ideas.

Romy had a tee-tiny little splinter that caused her foot to swell a bit. I took her to a vet who works with chickens, and somehow the vet found the little sliver and removed it. We followed up with some antibiotic.

I am going to guess there may still be a shard in there.

There are things you can try to draw the splinter out. Some infections are really tenacious, and may not respond to the first antibiotic used.

If you can get to a good vet, I would do that. If that's not an option, I would put triple antibiotic without painkiller on the bottom of the foot three times a day, and definitely before bedtime. I would continue with Epsom salt compresses or soaks (don't let her drink it, it is a laxative) also.

I am told that a potato bandage can pull a splinter out.

Another thing to try might be, after a soak, a couple of drops of clear iodine. Clear. Not brown. Some of our members feel this clear iodine soaks through and down into infected areas on the foot and really helps. I know I use it on myself and have good results with nipping infections in the bud.

If topical doesn't fix it up in another several days, I would consider internal antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom