Duck foot problem?

chris453

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2020
Hi! this is my first time raising ducks and got 9 indian runners. I noticed that one of the females (grumpy) started walking funny with her right leg, she would often kick it forward more than her other leg and recently started to hold the back part of her foot up while walking and standing.
20200715_094257.jpg

I checked the bottom of her foot and nothing seems wrong but i don't really know much about duck feet.
20200711_145730.jpg

She is 2 1/2 months old and i first noticed this around the 2 month mark after i put the bands around their legs, im planing on cutting hers off to see if its because of the band but all the other ducks seem fine with theirs. Ive read a bit about bumblefoot and im worried these might be early sign so im wondering if anyone knows the cause or things i can do to help her out?

Attachments

• 20200711_145730.jpg
    20200711_145730.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 2
Mmmm...I have some young ducklings for the first time and was just getting familiar with their feet. I found this recent thread helpful...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/duck-feet-what-is-normal.1397259/

It seems from my experience with chickens, there are often cracks in the feet which would allow an infection to start, just like an injury that busted the skin. Ive found that when the infection/bumble is already there, there is a hard ball on the feet (or leg), sometimes its discolored on a chicken but your duck's feet are already black. If you massage the fleshy parts, you can feel for any differences, like spots that are harder or where the chicken(duck) shows signs of being in pain. I have a chicken who limps from the day we got her at 16 weeks, and Ive checked for bumble so many times. Im pretty sure she might have had an injury that didnt heal. It can be confusing. In the thread, they show pictures and suggest soaking the feet and putting some antiseptic on the feet. I did the same with my chicken. However, there is a chance that your duck has an injury in the foot. Im too unfamiliar but am curious...maybe @Miss Lydia or @Isaac 0 would know...

Another idea...it's only on one side, not both? My ducks needed/were helped with niacin when they had issues of weakness in their legs. But it was both legs.

Thanks for the replies! I have another duck in the flock with permanent leg problem so ive been adding niacin for awhile. I wasn't able to find any nutri-drip near me but ive read that baby poly-vi-sol works too so also been adding that but lately decreased the dose as they got older. As for feed they get 16% grower and im starting to add brewers yeast again after noticing. Ive felt around and haven't noticed anything odd (checked my other ducks as reference) and she doesnt seem to be in pain when i palpate the area. Later this evening im hoping to check with a magnifying glass to see if any thorns just in case. I also hope to get another clear photo since the one i posted was from July 5th

Thanks for the replies! I have another duck in the flock with permanent leg problem so ive been adding niacin for awhile. I wasn't able to find any nutri-drip near me but ive read that baby poly-vi-sol works too so also been adding that but lately decreased the dose as they got older. As for feed they get 16% grower and im starting to add brewers yeast again after noticing. Ive felt around and haven't noticed anything odd (checked my other ducks as reference) and she doesnt seem to be in pain when i palpate the area. Later this evening im hoping to check with a magnifying glass to see if any thorns just in case. I also hope to get another clear photo since the one i posted was from July 5th

When one already has a problem the best treatment is liquid b complex if it’s a deficiency they show improvement pretty quick
I'll pick up some and give it a try. Should i stop/lower the niacin dose while giving this?
A few months ago i came in contact with an avian vet about the other duck and it has more of an issue with how its hip formed in the egg so i don't think these cases are related

Right no niacin while using the b complex. The link I gave you gives instruction on amount an how to give it. I’d try this first to rule out is in deficiency. If it is keep her on it till 10 weeks old

Back
Top Bottom