Duck foot problem?

Hooperdooper

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 28, 2014
Tolland , CT
I noticed this on my 10 month old pekin that I just picked up the other day. The girl I got lthe duck from said she has had it for a while and doesn't seem to be getting worse. Just curious if anyone knows what it is and if I should treat it with meds or a cream? She has it on both feet on the middle claw but this one was the worst.

Do you have a vet who can work with ducks?  I am a little concerned about that - is it a bone that I see under the nail?
I don't think its the bone. The girl thought it was a type of callus. I can try to get some better pictures when I get home today. She is starting to warm up to me so I think it will be easier.

Whew! Good! It is easier when they can be less nervous. Something fairly safe to put on it might be a simple salve - even a dab of olive oil at night (so she won't be walking around outside or swimming). Not much, as it will get on her feathers.

Or, some swim time in a lukewarm tub, followed with an Epsom salt compress. That Epsom salt helps many things heal. If the foot is not swollen or warm, I don't think it's much of a problem… just that first photo looked like the tip of a bone to me. But you are the one right there.

Whew!  Good!   It is easier when they can be less nervous.  Something fairly safe to put on it might be a simple salve - even a dab of olive oil at night (so she won't be walking around outside or swimming).  Not much, as it will get on her feathers.

Or, some swim time in a  lukewarm tub, followed with an Epsom salt compress.  That Epsom salt helps many things heal.  If the foot is not swollen or warm, I don't think it's much of a problem…  just that first photo looked like the tip of a bone to me.  But you are the one right there.

This is a new problem for me so I want to be safe. I have an appointment for my other duck next week so I am going to see if I can bring her along. I will still try to get better pictures. Any idea of a brand or name for a salve?

I make my own salve with olive oil and beeswax and a little vitamin E oil. I use comfrey oil, mostly (soak the comfrey in olive oil overnight, and strain). So something with simple ingredients - without painkiller, as that can be toxic to waterfowl.

I make my own salve with olive oil and beeswax and a little vitamin E oil.  I use comfrey oil, mostly (soak the comfrey in olive oil overnight, and strain).  So something with simple ingredients - without painkiller, as that can be toxic to waterfowl.

I might have some vitamin E oil and definitely olive oil. I picked up some Epsom salt and will do a compress. I tried to get a good picture but she is still fussy. It looks like swimming is softening it up some. She may not have had any swimming over the winter and she was in an outdoor pen where she was basically an outcast from her flock. Could it be frostbite? It doesn't seem to bother her. I'm glad Iwas able to get her a safe home.

My Pekin duck'a feet are turning a dark pink color and she is kind of walking weird.. I'm not sure if it's just the color of her feet and because she's still growing (she's 3 weeks old) or if I actually have something to worry about.

They have food and water 24/7 and they walk on regular pine shavings.. I have 2 baby ducks and the other baby I have, her feet are perfectly fine! :/ so I just don't know

Let me know what you think please, I need my babies to stay healthy

Do
My Pekin duck'a feet are turning a dark pink color and she is kind of walking weird.. I'm not sure if it's just the color of her feet and because she's still growing (she's 3 weeks old) or if I actually have something to worry about.

They have food and water 24/7 and they walk on regular pine shavings.. I have 2 baby ducks and the other baby I have, her feet are perfectly fine! :/ so I just don't know

Let me know what you think please, I need my babies to stay healthy

Do you give them brewers yeast/niacin? I read that it is very important for the devolpment of ducks and gave it to mine until they were full grown. You can get it on amizon in a powder form and it's not expensive.

Do

Do you give them brewers yeast/niacin? I read that it is very important for the devolpment of ducks and gave it to mine until they were full grown. You can get it on amizon in a powder form and it's not expensive.

No I don't! Maybe that's it
1f60c.png
thank you very much... Do you just put it in there water or food?

Back
Top Bottom