Duck foot treatment

Emmaxx

Songster
Apr 16, 2017
UK
Sorry about the poor photo but tricky to do any better on my own....

The poop looking bit on my duckling's foot (approx 4 weeks) is actually some sort of sore. Looking for advice on how to treat as in the UK we can't get antibiotic creams, as far as I know, but he won't use the foot and always has it curled up (not always, I mean since this happened).

Tia x

Attachments

• DSC_1163.JPG
    DSC_1163.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 10
One thing to try is

have rinse water handy
get hydrogen peroxide, 3% solution
an eye dropper

drop the H2O2 onto the sore. If it bubbles, it is bacterial infection.

The H2O2 kills bacteria. It is also rough on skin. So I wuld just do that once. Then I would follow with saline solution compress four times a day.

If the infection is topical, I feel that should do it. If it goes too long, there is a risk of further infection, and a vet is a good idea.

One thing to try is

have rinse water handy
get hydrogen peroxide, 3% solution
an eye dropper

drop the H2O2 onto the sore. If it bubbles, it is bacterial infection.

The H2O2 kills bacteria. It is also rough on skin. So I wuld just do that once. Then I would follow with saline solution compress four times a day.

If the infection is topical, I feel that should do it. If it goes too long, there is a risk of further infection, and a vet is a good idea.
Thank you Amiga, I shall give that a try.

Have just done that with the help of my daughter but I'm not sure if it fizzed or not :/

It definitely looked improved on the photo, so hopefully that will kill off any bacteria that may have been lingering and will continue to get better.

I'll carry on applying 'savlon' which is an antiseptic/anaesthetic cream we have here, give bathing time and do the saline as you suggested but should I worry about the curling? Is it likely to correct itself when it heals or will I need to do something about it sooner?
Thank you for your help so far x

The curling may be related to nerve damage, or nutritional deficiency....hard to know.

I would give B Complex vitamins (150 mg B3/gallon of drinking water) for a week, see if there is improvement.

Does he swim daily? If it were me I would also rub some T-Relief ointment onto the foot daily for a week and see.

Back
Top Bottom