Duck foot warts?

Muscovy Wunda

Free Ranging
5 Years
Nov 5, 2018
Central West NSW Australia
Okay guys I have found a couple of older threads on similar things but no real answers in what it is so I apologise in advance for asking but with newer members maybe newer answers?
So, I've noticed afew growths on the bottoms of 4 out of 6 of my ducks, and I am going to post pictures of the worst two. This is not any bumble foot I've ever seen. Now some information about the run to help diagnose maybe. We are located in Australia in arid region and have just come out of summer. We have been at our current place for a year. I have completely lost my measurements on the run but between 170-200 square feet for 6 ducks and 4 chickens. Before us there were 12 Isa browns in said run for 5 years that ate absolutely everything(I had to clean out alot of bones from lamb leg roasts, clam shells to chicken wings) The flooring is/was dirt. I try to free range but we had a recent wet event that gave close to 200ml of rain in a week (our yearly average is 375ml) we were unable to let them out and thankfully the runs good drainage ment it didn't become boggy, just damp. I am wondering if something has come to the surface since because I had never noticed before. I have since layed down thick layers of straw. My location does not allow for me to easily access more suitable bedding like wood shavings or smooth pebbles for around the pond, these would be special order in and could take 3 months (so I know you mean well but please do not suggest as I am already looking into it). Now for the photos. First is from drake,
20210404_082257.jpg
20210404_082400.jpg
then this is hen.
20210404_084342.jpg
I have started epsom salt foot soaks to see if it improves this is drakes foot after one soak.
20210406_122649.jpg
I then gave them a good coat of Cetrigen (also known as purple spray to fellow Aussies) which is an antibacterial wound spray that fixes almost everything active ingredient is cetrimide. This is about the only thing you can purchase over the counter here so its always the first thing I try.
I appreciate any help/advise on this and hopefully we can sort it out soon 🤞 ( I will continue to update this thread even if no answers are found for someone down the line facing this thing)

The lesions you're witnessing are indicative of excessive rubbing, and pressure on hard grounds such as dirt, which creates subsequent dermatitis on the skin. Sometimes the cells inferior to the tissue will proliferate to repair the damaged squamous epithelium which can create a wart look. In the pictures, you can appreciate how the lesions are restricted to the areas of direct ground contact of the foot.

It appears you have caught the development early enough, treatment could mainly consist of soaking in an antiseptic bath to loosen the flaking, and moisturize the tissue - and as you know the softer substrate will help as well. It's definitely nothing too severe, and it sounds like you are on the right track as far as treatment. Hopefully, you'll see some improvement soon.

The lesions you're witnessing are indicative of excessive rubbing, and pressure on hard grounds such as dirt, which creates subsequent dermatitis on the skin. Sometimes the cells inferior to the tissue will proliferate to repair the damaged squamous epithelium which can create a wart look. In the pictures, you can appreciate how the lesions are restricted to the areas of direct ground contact of the foot.

It appears you have caught the development early enough, treatment could mainly consist of soaking in an antiseptic bath to loosen the flaking, and moisturize the tissue - and as you know the softer substrate will help as well. It's definitely nothing too severe, and it sounds like you are on the right track as far as treatment. Hopefully, you'll see some improvement soon.
This is the new answer I've been looking for thank you! :love. any suggestions for a duck safe moisturizer?

If hard surface like dirt is an issue, what would be recommended to help prevent it?

I’m noticing similar development on the bottom of my ducks feet. They have straw in their coop but their run is just dirt/weeds from the garden area. They’re also allowed to by the pond to free range and we have a lot of rocky terrain.

If hard surface like dirt is an issue, what would be recommended to help prevent it?

I’m noticing similar development on the bottom of my ducks feet. They have straw in their coop but their run is just dirt/weeds from the garden area. They’re also allowed to by the pond to free range and we have a lot of rocky terrain.
I noticed a huge improvement once filling my run with straw. Although they are let out most days onto dirt and grass. Could you do a deep litter in your run? This is another thing I am thinking of doing but I haven't looked into it in a long time. It does sound nice and cushiony though

Okay guys I have found a couple of older threads on similar things but no real answers in what it is so I apologise in advance for asking but with newer members maybe newer answers?
So, I've noticed afew growths on the bottoms of 4 out of 6 of my ducks, and I am going to post pictures of the worst two. This is not any bumble foot I've ever seen. Now some information about the run to help diagnose maybe. We are located in Australia in arid region and have just come out of summer. We have been at our current place for a year. I have completely lost my measurements on the run but between 170-200 square feet for 6 ducks and 4 chickens. Before us there were 12 Isa browns in said run for 5 years that ate absolutely everything(I had to clean out alot of bones from lamb leg roasts, clam shells to chicken wings) The flooring is/was dirt. I try to free range but we had a recent wet event that gave close to 200ml of rain in a week (our yearly average is 375ml) we were unable to let them out and thankfully the runs good drainage ment it didn't become boggy, just damp. I am wondering if something has come to the surface since because I had never noticed before. I have since layed down thick layers of straw. My location does not allow for me to easily access more suitable bedding like wood shavings or smooth pebbles for around the pond, these would be special order in and could take 3 months (so I know you mean well but please do not suggest as I am already looking into it). Now for the photos. First is from drake,View attachment 2601393View attachment 2601395 then this is hen. View attachment 2601397I have started epsom salt foot soaks to see if it improves this is drakes foot after one soak.View attachment 2601400 I then gave them a good coat of Cetrigen (also known as purple spray to fellow Aussies) which is an antibacterial wound spray that fixes almost everything active ingredient is cetrimide. This is about the only thing you can purchase over the counter here so its always the first thing I try.
I appreciate any help/advise on this and hopefully we can sort it out soon 🤞 ( I will continue to update this thread even if no answers are found for someone down the line facing this thing)
Cutaneous papillomatosis is the development of papillomas (non-cancerous growths, or warts) caused by the papillomavirus. It causes raised growths that have a cauliflower like appearance. In more severe cases, they can become cracked and bleed, which then it becomes more serious as risk of infection is higher. The papillomavirus is a contagious virus (not to humans) and can spread to the rest of your flock.

I treat like bumble foot after removing the cauliflower like bumps. It can reoccur at any time though bc once they get the virus, they carry it for life.

I noticed a huge improvement once filling my run with straw. Although they are let out most days onto dirt and grass. Could you do a deep litter in your run? This is another thing I am thinking of doing but I haven't looked into it in a long time. It does sound nice and cushiony though
Could you say more about the steps you took (if any) in addition to adding the straw? I am noticing very, very similar growths in one of my ducks (thank you for your pictures!). They are in deep-bedding at night and straw, dirt, grass during the day with tubs to swim in. I can add more straw and am looking for a cetrimide product here, too. Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom