duck for eggs

creaturelife

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 10, 2013
i m looking into getting me another duck breed but i want them for the eggs all i have is ducks that lay in the spring any ideas let me know a few breeds for the eggs

Just a word of caution, while some ducks are prolific layers, meaning that they lay often, it is still very common for our Lady Ducks to take some time off during the winter. This is part of the natural rhythm of things, and their bodies do need that rest. Plus, in times of extreme cold (like now!), the ducks will naturally reduce egg laying, and this is because their bodies are much more involved with staying warm and alive rather than making eggs for reproduction. Over time, the ducks' bodies have learned when is the right time to lay eggs.

I don't want you to make a purchase and be disappointed if you don't get what you're expecting.

Last edited:
Where are you located?
My runners used to lay year round, no heat or light needed.
They may still be doing that, but it has been months since they laid in their hut so I have no earthly idea where their eggs are. I'm sure the dogs are enjoying them though.
Same with the chickens.

The welsh harlequin I think laid all last winter too.

i m in hart co Kentucky i want a breed that wont stop laying after they lay a clutch of egg like my mallards and Muscovy already do that i want a breed that will lay almost year around but they can have a break from laying as long as they dont stop laying after a clutch of egg and i dont need them to go broody i have 6 females already to hatch out babys

GoIden or white hybrid layer from Metzer farms is suppose to be the best laying duck. I have Campbells and Welsh Harlequins, both being excellent. Magpies or stanbridge whites (white magpies), Pekins, and runners are also know for egg laying.

well i m geting 3 runner ducklings from a friend when her ducks go broody are they good layers

Back
Top Bottom