Duck Frozen to ground

MeredithW

Chirping
Feb 19, 2015
Minnesota
I found my duck frozen to the ground today. It is about -10 degrees here in Minnesota. We brought her inside and let her warm up in the tub with some luke-warm water. Then we put her in a bucket with some hay and a little bowl of water. I went to check on her a little while ago, and she has green dots on her bill. (She is a Pekin). She makes a really weird wheezing sort of cough whenever I lift the lid of the box to check on her, and she huddles down and puffs up her feathers. I'm mainly worried about the green dots on her bill. Is this a sign of sickness??? I'm really worried that she will not make it.

While she was frozen to the ground, she struggled to get up, causing the feathers to rip. She bled a little bit.

Can anyone give me any advice about the green dots?? Or about the duck herself???

Thanks

A photo would help.

She probably has/had hypothermia.

I would get some electrolytes into her water. You can find poultry electrolytes at many feed stores. Unflavored pedialyte without iron is another option - there is dosing information in the archives here on BYD Duck Forum, I am pretty sure.

The wheezing sound may be hissing. She probably feels awful right now, and is afraid to have anyone get near her. Make sure she has fresh water, food, decent bedding, a reasonably warm, safe place to stay, talk to her a little bit, and give her some time.

Ducks can recover from very serious injury. But it takes time and a little bit of help.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness that poor duck. I'm so glad you brought her inside. I would give her some electrolytes in her water to help build her up. You can find a package of this in the feed store. Please keep her warm and dry and plenty of food and a water bowl that is deep enough for her to put her nares in to clean them out. I hope she makes it.

Thanks for all the advice! I don't have any electrolytes handy right now, but could I substitute it for some salt and/or sugar? I hope she makes it too.

I would put a quarter teaspoon apple cider vinegar in a half gallon of drinking water.

I wonder if there's a recommended concentration - ACV has electrolytes, but I am not sure how much is too much….

Last edited:
Can you give us an update on how she is doing? I don't know anything about the green spots wish I could help you.

Thanks for the link. :)

She is still doing the same. :| I put some fresh hay in her box and gave her a bowl of fresh water. She seemed to enjoy the hay! She also drank the water a little. I gave her a couple pieces of bread. She enjoyed that too! my mom wants me to put her back in the coop with her buddies, though I'm reluctant to do that. I sat and talked to her and pet her today.

Thanks for the update I'm glad she is still with us. I hope you get to keep her inside longer. Is she eatting her duck food?

Back
Top Bottom