Duck gasping

Things have been so crazy aroud here due to coronavirus. I hope you’re all fine wherever you are
Thankfully cookie hasn’t laid those eggs for a while.
As you might know, Daisy had rectal prolapse a few months ago then she had surgery and a vet had to remove some of her intestine as well. He said she will never lay again and she probably will lose weight.
Fortunately She stopped laying and she didn’t lose weight. She kept getting better day by day🥰
But recently she’s been losing weight, her appetite is not as good as before and the last few days she’s been taking nap all day.
She’s got runny nose and keep sneezing.
Beside the corona quarantine it’s our new year and their vet isn’t at the clinic.
I kept searching byc to find out the best treatmet. I’m not sure if it’s infection but anyway I started giving them both enrofloxacin( which I guess it’s labeled baytril in The US)
Have I made the right call?

Last edited:
Enrofloxacin (Baytril) is an antibiotic used to treat difficult bacterial infections in pets. It is effective against both Gram-negative and Gram-positive bacterias. Previously, Pseudomonas and Staphylococcus bacterias were very difficult to treat, but Enrofloxacin proves effective against them.
Reference: www.petmd.com/pet-medication/baytril

If you have Baytril you have one of the best.

Things have been so crazy aroud here due to coronavirus. I hope you’re all fine wherever you are
Thankfully cookie hasn’t laid those eggs for a while.
As you might know, Daisy had rectal prolapse a few months ago then she had surgery and a vet had to remove some of her intestine as well. He said she will never lay again and she is probably will lose weight.
Fortunately She stopped laying and she didn’t lose weight. She kept getting better day by day🥰
But recently she’s been losing weight, her appetite is not as good as before and the last few days she’s been taking nap all day.
She’s got runny nose and keep sneezing.
Beside the corona quarantine it’s our new year and their vet isn’t at the clinic.
I kept searching byc to find out the best treatmet. I’m not sure if it’s infection but anyway I started giving them both enrofloxacin( which I guess it’s labeled baytril in The US)
Don't take offence to my reply. I definitely wouldn't Vet a bird. Birds are hard to Vet and the expense is in my opinion not feasible.
Sadly I put down anything that's not well as far a Birds go. I have compassion though for people who think of them as pets. Mine are pets to a certain degree but livestock and I don't allow suffering either. It's totally up to you..❤️

Yes, that is what I would give, it is the best for many types of bacterial respiratory infections. Do you know how much to give? It does need to be given orally or by injection, never in water. Let me know if you need help calculation a dose.

Don't take offence to my reply. I definitely wouldn't Vet a bird. Birds are hard to Vet and the expense is in my opinion not feasible.
Sadly I put down anything that's not well as far a Birds go. I have compassion though for people who think of them as pets. Mine are pets to a certain degree but livestock and I don't allow suffering either. It's totally up to you..❤️
Its at least worth trying the Baytril and seeing if it helps her symptoms before you think about culling.
What do you mean by culling?😳
Her surgery was 6months ago, she was healthy right after surgery until a few days ago!
Do people euthanase their birds for a (possible) respiratory infection?! Wow!

Last edited:
Yes, that is what I would give, it is the best for many types of bacterial respiratory infections. Do you know how much to give? It does need to be given orally or by injection, never in water. Let me know if you need help calculation a dose.
Thanks,
Should I give it to both of them? Since it might be contagious..
I read somewhere 10 mg/kg, is it right?
I would be grateful if you help me with calculating the dose🙏

Back
Top Bottom