Duck getting bullied by other ducks

lina500

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 7, 2014
Cambodia
We have three muscovys, three pekin-types, and two geese. Previously the pekin ducks and the geese were tight and the muscovys were a little group of their own.

One of our muscovys just had 10 ducklings and after six or so weeks we gave them away. We noticed soon after that the mama muscovy was sitting on her own all of the time and I wondered if she was depressed about losing her babies (do ducks get depressed?)

After more observation I have seen the other two muscovys (one male, one female) chasing the mama muscovy, hissing at her, and trying to attack her. They won't let her hang out with them anymore.

Can anyone give me some insight into what is going on in my garden? I'm perplexed. This is like some weird high school drama.

Last edited:
Hi lina500, Maybe baby ducks gone too soon? My mama Muscovy duck got depressed every time she lost a duckling to a predator. I didn't know baby Muscovy ducks could survive without mama before 8 weeks old! Mine are now 17 weeks old and still hang out on the lake with mom from time to time for a brief visit....and yes the other ducks picked on mama during the raising period of the babies and afterwards. I think they got jealous because she got so much attention because of the babies.Plus this was her 1st batch to survive! The drake even killed 2 of the kids! Devastating more to me than her I think. Drake and the other hen in the group, was definitely jealous and shunned mama with ducklings and after the ducklings grew older, till about 12 weeks later.
Time has passed and they are all swimming on the lake just like before. Adults together again and children still at play.They sometimes roost at night with the young ducks and sometimes the adults kick them out! HaHa sounds like human family! I'm new to the duck world just speaking from my experience... not an expert! I'm still learning. Now, all I worry about is stranger ducks coming in to the mix to challenge my young ducks. Praying it doesn't get physical and they don't get hurt.
I hope your crew comes around and welcomes your mama duck again. Praying for you and her. Keep us posted!

Did you have her separated while she raised her babies?

They will come around.....She became an out cast.......Poor Girl......

Cheers!

She was only separated for the first few days. But she sort of separated herself because she was too busy caring for ten ducklings to hang out with her friends.

I think we are just going to get rid of the male muscovy because I can't stand watching him be such a jerk.

Back
Top Bottom