1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck grit?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BuddyT, Sep 7, 2011.

1. BuddyT

BuddyT Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    I do not know much yet, so this might be a stupid question but if i give my ducks access to sand and pebbles which is abundant in my yard will they still need grit? i wont be able to free range them so i would ineed to put it in pile/a hopper in their run... also how much would say, 10 ducks need in a day/week or year? or what ever. I plan on getting kahki campbells, and is the oyster shell for grit? or calcium? do ducks need the oyster like chickens??

Thanks!

2. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    I can't answer the grit question as an expert, but we always free range our ducks and don't supply grit, and I've got beautiful healthy ducks. we also have a lot of DG and some sand in our dirt, so I'm guessing they get plenty of it from puttering around in our muddy spots.
    oyster shell is for calcium, and yes they need it for laying. duck egg shells are much thicker than chicken egg shells, so I'm guessing they probably need more than chickens do. we free range our birds together, so I can't tell who's actually eating the bulk of it, but I see both the ducks and the chickens eating it. we just keep the oyster shell pan stocked and let them work out how much they need.

3. BallardDuck

BallardDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Ballard in Seattle
    Grit really is just sand and small pebble. If they're dabbling around the yard free-ranging I'd bet they are doing just fine.
    The calcium is a whole 'nother story...best left to others who've dealt with it!

4. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    You have to provide calcium full time to heavily laying ducks. The gal who runs the duck rescue here in Phoenix says that if Campbells don't get calcium supplemented to replenish all that heavy laying they will get osteoporosis within weeks. She said you can provide oyster shell, or you can save all your household egg shells, crush them and feed them back to them.

5. cooprunbuilder

cooprunbuilder Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    London
    you can feed ducks a bit of grit so they have healthy egg shells but if your ducks are free ranging they might find snails, and snails shells are extremly good for them, if they do not find them find them for them and put them in there run for them to find.

6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    If you're feeding layer feed, they don't need the extra calcium, especially if they have free range time to supplement their calcium with what they find in the yard.

And ditto on the grit--if they're free ranging, they're finding plenty on their own, especially if they have access to sand.

Mine get layer feed in the evening and free range during the day and they do great.

7. famann390

famann390 New Egg

Mar 30, 2013
    I'm thinking about getting pekin ducks and I want to have everything I need for them. Is grit absolutely necessary for them to have or can they still live healthily without them.

8. BarredRockGirls

BarredRockGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Ohio
    ducks and chickens dont have teeth . grit (in one form or another- be it tiny pebbles , sand, or crushed stone etc) IS necessary for the animal to properly grind up and digest their food. they can live healthy with out you supplying it if they are free ranged - they will find it themselves - but they still will get it . if they are layers youll need to provide oyster shell grit for the calcium.- but not till laying age

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  9. famann390

famann390 New Egg

Mar 30, 2013
    Okay thank you so much.

10. Olamina

Olamina Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2013
    Sutter County
    Thanks for asking and answering all these questions so I don't have to ask. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by