Duck Habitat Quest.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jwatts, Nov 11, 2011.

1. jwatts

jwatts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I am new to the ducks. Was thinking of getting some in the spring. I do have an old well with a pretty big concrete slab ontop of it 24'x4'. Theres only acess to one side of it,This is where i can prob build a fence on that side to keep pred. out. I am wondering if this will be a good spot for them,theres also about 50'x100' Pond on it. I am also thinking about building a small hutch on the slab for the ducks to live in. Do ducks lay in a hutch or coop? or will i have to wander the pond looking for them? Any info will be greatly appriciated..thank you

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Did you have a particular breed in mind- or are you still just thinking " ducks". Housing needs can differ slighlty depending on if you are getting heavier domesticated ducks- or the lighter ones able to fly.

3. jwatts

jwatts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Im not even to sure yet.. I'd like to get about 6-8 ducks to live on our pond and also get good egg production.. What would you recomend,and how big should i build the coop/hutch. Oh,i'd like to try to get some friendly ducks,i have 2 small children. We have 30 chickens now and my 4 yr. old daughter loves them.she loves collecting eggs and petting them. thank you

4. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    I had the same idea, however, after a snapping turtle took down one of my big Pekins, my ducks no longer go to the pond. You may want to fish for snappers before letting ducks on the pond.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mine all hang around the baby pool now.

The most important consideration for housing is EZ to clean!!! Ducks are hogs. I am happy with what I built that has a sand floor. Then, I throw on pine needles or hay that is easily removed. I love my automatic waterers, but dread the freeze this winter. I may want less ventilation when it gets colder. You can see that 3 of the 8 sides allow air.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by