Duck has build a nest, should i remove eggs? (No ducklings wanted)

None of my Runners have built a nest they just lay where they take a notion inside their coop but they came from broody Runners so there is always a chance you may get a broody when your ready. @CyndiD
And i am not sure if the Duck did that on purpose: This is the only spot in the duck-house that i cannot see on the DuckCam! She had the choice out of three corners and took the least comfortable one with a gap between two boards, not the dark corner or the one with the heat lamp. As if she knows i can see them on the camera…

You don't say if she was actually sitting on the eggs or did I miss that? My 4 runner girls usually lay in the same nest. Today I had 3 eggs in the same nest obviously from 3 different girls because I collect them every day. I guess that's just what they do. One of them builds a nest and the others think "cool, nest already buit, I think I'll lay an egg"! None of my runners have been the least bit interested in going broody so unless yours is sitting on them I wouldn't worry about it.

Oh, and since you must be new to duck eggs if you bake and a recipe calls for say 3 eggs they are talking about chicken eggs which average about 2 ounces each (for large eggs). I learned the hard way NOT to use duck eggs that way. I have a little scale and if a recipe calls for 5 eggs I figure on 10 oz of eggs so I mix and match until I get close to that. I ruined a beautiful cheesecake once. ONCE!

You don't say if she was actually sitting on the eggs or did I miss that? My 4 runner girls usually lay in the same nest. Today I had 3 eggs in the same nest obviously from 3 different girls because I collect them every day. I guess that's just what they do. One of them builds a nest and the others think "cool, nest already buit, I think I'll lay an egg"! None of my runners have been the least bit interested in going broody so unless yours is sitting on them I wouldn't worry about it.
When i looked through the DuckyCam last night there was a duck sitting in that corner, of course, once the door to freedom opened…
escape02.gif

The stories i have heart about runners were more like "One duck lost an egg while the whole gang ran up the hill…".

Oh, and since you must be new to duck eggs if you bake and a recipe calls for say 3 eggs they are talking about chicken eggs which average about 2 ounces each (for large eggs). I learned the hard way NOT to use duck eggs that way. I have a little scale and if a recipe calls for 5 eggs I figure on 10 oz of eggs so I mix and match until I get close to that. I ruined a beautiful cheesecake once. ONCE!
Just had three duck-eggs so far: The first one was slightly larger than an XL-chicken-egg, the two from today are the same size as a large chicken egg. Can you really ruin a cake with too much eggs? - I bake waffles with two eggs, my wife adds four, so far both waffles were delicious, but my wife's fill you up more quickly.

Back
Top Bottom