Duck has swollen belly - any suggestions???

My first thoughts are keep here and the others out of the pond. This is most probably where they are picking up the leeches. I think you should also be checking the other ducks as well and any other fowl who may have had contact with this duck or the water. If you can offer a kiddie pool or some such thing so they can bathe and somehow keep them from the grounds surrounding the pond. Not easy, I'm sure.

Another thing to think about...if this is also a case of peritonitis, an antibiotic may be needed. You will need to watch this bird very carefully to see how she is progressing. If the stomach doesn't go back to normal size soon, I would highly reccoment a dosing of either Sulmet or Di-Methox. Whichever you can get. The Sulmet is a bit more harsh than the Di-Methox, but then so again is the peritonitis. The reason I am suggesting either of these is to kick the infection back and also to kill and purge any remaining leech infestation. If you do need the antibiotic, please follow this up with a good poultry or human probiotic. This should mitigate any stomach upset caused by the drug.
I think this an important possibility to consider. Ducks hide serious illness very well. By the time they show obvious symptoms, I have a sense of urgency, based on prior experience.

Thanks for all your help,

She's spent most of the day in the pond, she's splashed around & preened herself - although not quite as lively as the others she has looked OK.

When she's come out of the pond and into the pen tonight she's still very wobbly on her feet and easily falls over.
Brought her back inside, gave her a salt bath - no signs of any more leeches anywhere.
She seemed pretty calm to start with, as though she remembered where she was and that it was safe but then she's started stressing a little bit again. Turned the lights off in there to help her settle down. Put warm towels down but she won't settle on them, seems to be standing up a lot. She keeps standing up straight as if she's trying to push something out but then falls backwards, but soon jumps up so think her underneath may be in pain when she sits down.
Seems to be pooing normal, can hear her eating and drinking but only takes a small bit of food at a time.

Thanks for all your help,

She's spent most of the day in the pond, she's splashed around & preened herself - although not quite as lively as the others she has looked OK.

When she's come out of the pond and into the pen tonight she's still very wobbly on her feet and easily falls over.
Brought her back inside, gave her a salt bath - no signs of any more leeches anywhere.
She seemed pretty calm to start with, as though she remembered where she was and that it was safe but then she's started stressing a little bit again. Turned the lights off in there to help her settle down. Put warm towels down but she won't settle on them, seems to be standing up a lot. She keeps standing up straight as if she's trying to push something out but then falls backwards, but soon jumps up so think her underneath may be in pain when she sits down.
Seems to be pooing normal, can hear her eating and drinking but only takes a small bit of food at a time.
I don't think I'd give her anymore ESalt bathes if she is drinking the water while in it, you don't want to overload her on the salt. Great to hear no more leeches. Maybe you should consider starting an antibiotic on her. I believe haunted55 and Amiga referred to them. If she has in internal infection the longer she goes without treatment the harder it's going to be for her to come back. Like I said before we're not Dr.'s so all we can do is offer what we'd do in similar situation. question, do you know if she has laid an egg yet?

Last edited:
Please keep us updated.
Hi just a update for you on my little duck.
I've had her in the vets for 3 days, they've taken blood tests and x-rays and still not 100% sure whats wrong with her.
Seem to think that it's some kind of lead poisoning but just waiting for the blood tests to come back. Got her on medication and some energy formula.
She has shown some signs of improvement this morning, managed to take a few steps without wobbling over and she's had a few nibbles at me today when I've gone near her so fingers crossed she's on the road to recovery!!
Will keep you posted with any change in her and when we get the results xxx

Hi just a update for you on my little duck.
I've had her in the vets for 3 days, they've taken blood tests and x-rays and still not 100% sure whats wrong with her.
Seem to think that it's some kind of lead poisoning but just waiting for the blood tests to come back. Got her on medication and some energy formula.
She has shown some signs of improvement this morning, managed to take a few steps without wobbling over and she's had a few nibbles at me today when I've gone near her so fingers crossed she's on the road to recovery!!
Will keep you posted with any change in her and when we get the results xxx
What a wonderful mama you are to have taken her in, Not many of us can afford that luxury. Great to hear your seeing some signs of improvement Please let us know about the results.

Sssshhhh, I'm hiding the vet bills at the mo!!
Daren't tell my boyfriend how much its costing - the vet assures me that if it is lead poisoning then it's totally curable, so the money spent will be worth it, fingers crossed
fl.gif

Thank you so much for sharing this story. We all learn from each other. I have not read much about lead poisoning on the forum. I do remember, years ago, someone whose duck - a muscovy, I think - had surgery to remove two or three coins from her stomach. Since today's coins contain so much zinc, they were poisoning her.

So anything we can learn about dealing with lead or other metal poisoning, I would be all ears.

The X-ray showed that there weren't any metal objects in her little body, vet thinks it maybe some toxic in the pond! To test specifically for lead costs more money, given lots of vitamins & antibiotics and seeing small improvements so gonna give her a couple more days and see how she is!! My ducks must b fussy eaters as I've tried the apple & they wouldn't touch it!!

The X-ray showed that there weren't any metal objects in her little body, vet thinks it maybe some toxic in the pond! To test specifically for lead costs more money, given lots of vitamins & antibiotics and seeing small improvements so gonna give her a couple more days and see how she is!! My ducks must b fussy eaters as I've tried the apple & they wouldn't touch it!!
Is this a man made pond or natural pond? I glad to hear your seeing some improvements. Thanks for updating.

Back
Top Bottom