Duck has swollen belly - any suggestions???

Sarah and Joey

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 11, 2012
One of my Aylesbury ducks has developed a swollen belly and she's stumbling a lot.
Looked like she was trying to do a poo this morning and fell backwards so I thought it was maybe constipation. Picked her up tonight and its not that!!
She didn't struggle much, felt her belly - didn't feel any hard lumps in there.

I've taken ducks to the local vets in the past and unfortunately they aren't very knowledgeable on ducks.
Anybody any ideas what could be wrong with her and whats the best way to treat.

It's as if she'd drunk and keeps stumbling.

Thanks for any advice

One of my Aylesbury ducks has developed a swollen belly and she's stumbling a lot.
Looked like she was trying to do a poo this morning and fell backwards so I thought it was maybe constipation. Picked her up tonight and its not that!!
She didn't struggle much, felt her belly - didn't feel any hard lumps in there.

I've taken ducks to the local vets in the past and unfortunately they aren't very knowledgeable on ducks.
Anybody any ideas what could be wrong with her and whats the best way to treat.

It's as if she'd drunk and keeps stumbling.

Thanks for any advice
Has she ever laid and egg? if so has she been laying lately, almost sounds like egg bound . Might try putting her into a nice warm bath [no soap] and let her float keeping watch on her since she seems stumbly sometimes they get comfy in the water and relax enough to lay if it's an egg. then place her in a quiet crate or stall where she can have some privacy with food and water so she can rest, you can soak her as often as possible I have also heard of using warm towels out of the dryer[no hot] under them to create a bit of humidity to help if an egg is stuck. There is also something called water belly where fluid accumulates in the belly and can make them look swollen or egg peritonitis which[infection] will need to be treated with antibiotics.

She is about the age to start laying. Sometimes oviduct problems show up at this age. I would be attentive - she may be having egg problems. and those are not always palpable.

Swollen belly can result from infection due to egg yolk getting loose in the body cavity.

What is her feed? Does she get oyster shell or other calcium supplement? If she were in my flock, I would be getting as much calcium into her as possible and considering an antibiotic. Stumbling is something that my Neun did just before she succumbed to egg yolk peritonitis. I feel it is not necessarily a death sentence, although it is difficult to find anyone in the veterinary or duck world who is optimistic about this. I don't want to worry you unnecessarily, just give you an idea that this is a possibility and help you mentally prepare to deal with something serious.

I would let her swim in lukewarm water deep enough to float in, as Miss Lydia suggested. I would give her at least an hour in the tub. This will enable her to use her muscles and relax a bit.

I use calcium gluconate 23%, a teaspoon per half cup of drinking water, or add the water to the feed. The vet here prescribed Neocalglucon for some of my ducks with low calcium problems.

Quackers the duck had a case of eyp several weeks ago and seems to be recovering nicely. There is a thread about a Lethargic Duck - it is long, as the situation unfolded over a period of weeks. But there is so much detailed information in that thread, I think it is valuable.

Thanks for all your help,

She's spent most of the day in the pond, she's splashed around & preened herself - although not quite as lively as the others she has looked OK.

When she's come out of the pond and into the pen tonight she's still very wobbly on her feet and easily falls over.
Brought her back inside, gave her a salt bath - no signs of any more leeches anywhere.
She seemed pretty calm to start with, as though she remembered where she was and that it was safe but then she's started stressing a little bit again. Turned the lights off in there to help her settle down. Put warm towels down but she won't settle on them, seems to be standing up a lot. She keeps standing up straight as if she's trying to push something out but then falls backwards, but soon jumps up so think her underneath may be in pain when she sits down.
Seems to be pooing normal, can hear her eating and drinking but only takes a small bit of food at a time.
I don't think I'd give her anymore ESalt bathes if she is drinking the water while in it, you don't want to overload her on the salt. Great to hear no more leeches. Maybe you should consider starting an antibiotic on her. I believe haunted55 and Amiga referred to them. If she has in internal infection the longer she goes without treatment the harder it's going to be for her to come back. Like I said before we're not Dr.'s so all we can do is offer what we'd do in similar situation. question, do you know if she has laid an egg yet?

Last edited:
Thanks Miss Lydia, they're all settled down for the night, so I'll try the warm bath in the morning. She's one of my babies which were hatched in April so she hasn't laid any eggs yet. Do you know how old they usually are when they start laying??

Thanks Miss Lydia, they're all settled down for the night, so I'll try the warm bath in the morning. She's one of my babies which were hatched in April so she hasn't laid any eggs yet. Do you know how old they usually are when they start laying??
She'd be of laying age but since I don't have the breed not sure if they would wait and start in the spring like my Muscovy's do or not. Usually my spring hatches don't lay till following year. What are you feeding? just wondering if she is getting any extra calcium. I'm going to get Amiga since she has delt with EYP she may be able to see something I'm not. But I would think if she hasn't laid yet we could probably rule that one out.

She'd be of laying age but since I don't have the breed not sure if they would wait and start in the spring like my Muscovy's do or not. Usually my spring hatches don't lay till following year. What are you feeding? just wondering if she is getting any extra calcium. I'm going to get Amiga since she has delt with EYP she may be able to see something I'm not. But I would think if she hasn't laid yet we could probably rule that one out.
There you are I was just going for you.

Hi, ML, we leapfrogged on this one.

I think something like eyp is possible, not a sure thing. It could be some other kind of infection.

Another possibility based on the breed here is water belly - which indicates a heart problem. I found this link http://www.thepamperedpulletsfarm.com/Water_Belly.html

In this case, I would look into heart-healthy treats, more swim time for gentle exercise, and again, calcium, since it plays an important role in heart health.

Last edited:
Thanks Amiga

Will defo get them started on calcium supplements tomorrow, try the warm baths and see where we go from there.
Just going to have a read of the links you suggested, will keep you posted.

Thanks again
Sarah

Back
Top Bottom