duck hatch vs. chicken hatch(please answer my question!!!!)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FluffyColor, Nov 2, 2009.

1. FluffyColor

FluffyColor Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Queens, NY
    I am probably picking up duck eggs from the health food store tomorrow,and I was just wondering:A duck hatch is pretty much like a chicken hatch except ducks take longer right? Are there any temp/humidity/turning differences?

Just a quick question........

2. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I think they are different in every way you mentioned. Try using the search button asking about incubatoring duck eggs. Good luck.

3. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Ducks need more humidity. Dont remember how much though. Ask on Hatching eggs part.

4. wheredesalt

wheredesalt Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Trinidad
    fluffy,

there can be a lot of differences, depending on your scale and level of incubation.
    To keep it simple, you can use multi-stage parameters as this would be easier for you.

Use 99.5 for the first 25 days with a humidity of about 50-55%. for the last 3 days, drop to 98.5 F and increase your humidity to about 60-65%.
    Depending on the duck eggs of course, most duck breeds will take about 28 days. Muscovies, about 35 and mulards, 32. I find that the spread of the hatch is a bit longer with ducks than chickens.

use those parameters and you'll be fine. if you have a high level incubator then and can accurately control humidity and carbon dioxide, i can give you a better parameter scheme that i found to increase my hatch rate by about 11%.

hope this helps.

5. FluffyColor

May 31, 2009
    Queens, NY
    Ok, I know that there's temp/humidity differences, but what about turning?Are there any differences there? And, is it safe to keep the temp
    at 100 or will the babies turn into duck stew? And also, I don't have a hydrometer. Is that safe or do I need to pick one up?

6. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    There is no difference in the turning

7. FluffyColor

May 31, 2009
    Queens, NY
    And what about Hydrometers?

8. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    How will you know if your humidity is right if you don't have a hygrometer? You could try it without one and hope, but they aren't that expensive and would save the guess work.

I think your temp will be fine at 100. That was my "magic" number and I've had great hatch rates from all my hatches(except the last one, and I got lazy:( )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by