Duck hatchery

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by blayt90, Mar 29, 2018.

1. blayt90

blayt90 Crowing

Jan 11, 2018
    Magee, Mississippi
    My Coop
    I am sure this has been asked many many times over and I am sorry but what are some of the best hatcheries for ducks. I am mainly looking for Rouen/mallard, khaki Campbell, and Muscovy ducks.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Rouen, Mallard and KC= Metzers

Muscovy go on your state thread and ask around, harder to find Muscovy at hatcheries. Might even find the others on your state thread too.

blayt90 likes this.
  3. Learningstill

Learningstill Songster

Jun 10, 2013
    Not sure if they have the breeds you seek, but we ordered our ducks from Holderread farm. All our ducklings arrived healthy.

A little side note regarding Mallards, be sure to check with your state regarding if a permit is needed to have them. My state it is required.
    Best of luck with your investment!

blayt90 likes this.
  4. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    Please try to find one that has breeds you like that are geographically the closest as well. I bought from a hatchery a long ways away and it was too stressful on the birds because the post office takes so long. Several died I believe because it was too much traveling.

5. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Crowing

May 19, 2014
    Georgetown, TX
    Muscovies will be hard to find at a hatchery, you are better off looking for local breeders. I’ve ordered fro Ideal (local ish) and Metzer. I’ve been happy with both shipments with healthy babies.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  6. MillersFarm

MillersFarm Easily distracted by Chickens

Jun 3, 2016
    Lewiston NY
    The closest place i can think of is Ideal poultry
    http://www.idealpoultry.com/assortment.html
    Their prices are pretty low so I very strongly suggest buying sexed ducks. the Mallards and rouens are available now and the khakis will be in may. If you're also planing on buying a drake i'd suggested getting a khaki or mallard drake if you're getting all 3 breeds. A rouen drake can definitely hurt a mallard hen during breeding season.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  7. Kessel23

Kessel23 Hi Bug

Feb 6, 2018
    Hi Hannah
    I agree with everyone else in this thread, hardly any hatcheries have Muscovy ducks. their eggs are hard to incubate, and they have low hatch rates, unless set under a broody Muscovy. Also, Muscovies hardly give any eggs, a good hen in my climate gives me 90 a year. And it is near impossible to keep large scale breeding flocks of muscovies because the hens would constantly be going broody. The Muscovy is a struggle for hatcheries!
    I love Moscovies, I get mine from local breeders, swap meets, and poultry shows.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  8. learycow

learycow Crowing

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Mine is Al's Quackery
    I have anconas, calls, silkie ducks and muscovy.
    I do ship too!

nobueno and CayugaJana like this.
  9. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    They are beautiful too!

learycow likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: