Duck hatching help asap!

Islandmom511

Songster
11 Years
Jul 8, 2011
So it's been 36 hours since the first pip and they have made some progress, but not a ton. There's 3-4 pips in a row, but they still have a long way to go. I emailed the farm I got the eggs from for advice and they said I need the help the ducks out ASAP! he seemed very urgent about it...and he says I should do it under water? Does anyone have any videos for me to watch or advice or anything, as this is my first hatch and i am very nervous to intervene
hmm.png

I did just hatch 4 of my own but I'm not an expert so I can't really give advice on that, however underwater sounds strange so I wouldn't do that without getting some more opinions from members here. Once the duckling has pipped it is breathing air and if you submerged it it may not be able to breathe!

Quote:
I thought so too....hoping someone responds soon... I'm biting my nails over here!

Oh I forgot to mention, 1 is doing great and has a small hole where I can see inside. The membrane is very dry and white. Is it supposed to be like that?

Holding an egg under water now would drown the duckling. I have heard of people putting water into the egg and even holding it under a running tap - I was told it can help them to move- but I havent ever done anything like that myself. If the membrane looks white it is dry- Have you got a misting water bottle at all?? Spraying the eggs will help.

When I help a duckling- I put a small hole into the aircell to allow them to breath. Then just keep spraying to keep the membrane moist. I dont ever peel back the membrane while wet as you can easily tear through a vein which can cause it to bleed. If they have pipped- they can breath- so keeping the membrane moist now is something you can do to help them.

Some people will peel off a lot of the shell and slowly peel back the membrane as well- often they end up with a weaker duckling that hasnt absorbed all the yolk. It is important for them to still do the turning in the egg as they unzip as this movement is what helps them to absorb the blood from the veins and the yolk. There is nothing wrong with helping a duckling if it needs it- but knowing exactly what to do and how much help is sometimes tricky. Help too soon and they could die from blood loss if a vein is torn... help too late and they may have died already.

Quote:
Thank you so much! I started peeling back the shell slowly and wetting the membrane with a qtip. They look like they could have started to "shrink wrap" (i think). Any ideas? They are still moving, chirping and trying so hard to get out, but these pekin shells are so thick!

Wet papertowels. Keep humidity VERY high. I lost 2 to shrink wrapping a few weeks ago. You can drape a damp paper towel over the egg. Sucks because you can't see but better for them. I helped my last one out because even with a swamp in my homemade incubator it still looked to be drying out.
Good luck

Here is a link to the post on my hatching problems
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=540541

Last edited:
If they were dry to begin with - you have to open the incubtor to help - but once that is done of course you need to continue as the membranes will continue to dry out. Using a qtip is good- I use them as well as spraying them. Once the membrane is wet- sometime I will use it to ensure the membrane isnt stuck to the duckling anywhere. Running it slowly and gently under the membrane a little . It can stick against their spine - which is at the base of the aircell or up the top of the egg to the right of their beak.

I added water and a wet paper towel and condensation is forming for the first time ever! And, 1 is almost out! he is turning in his shell and pushing so I think he will be out soon! Should I leave him in there or move him to the brooder since I will probably be helping the other one a bit with the shrink wrap?

Back
Top Bottom