Duck Having seizures...daughters therapy pet...please help

He is a two year old Cayuga and is pretty decent size. Vet didn't see anything wrong with his weight. He drinks a lot every day. He has no problem in that area :). He tried to eat a little last night and tried to preen himself. He's just so drowsy from the seizure meds. The Karo drop on the tongue seemed to help. Just didn't know how much to give. Did never mentioned any tubing but am calling him tonight when he is there and see if he can help with that. I K of baby is drinking non stop but I think he need more that what he's drinking to pick him up a little. Thank you for all your advice. Been in tears trying to get help. Tried to do a fundraiser to get money for blood tests so we would know for sure what's wrong, but people don't seem to think a pet is worth giving money to. I am trying everything I can

Talk to your vet about tube feeding... it's super easy and it's a great way to get the proper amount of fluids and food into him. Cayuga drakes should weigh 8 pounds. Are you sure he weighs only 3 pounds? Look at you receipt from the vet, it should list his weigh, and some vets might use kg (kilogram) instead of pounds. If he's 3kg, that's definetly in the safe zone, but if he's truly 3 pounds I thnk he's very close to death. Make sense?

-Kathy

I just called the vets office and she said that baby weighs 2.3 lbs. He is till the same size as he was a few months back. Not sure if that means anything. Doc is going to call me when he is free to discuss the tubing idea. He is drinking a lot and is taking his supplements in the water. He doesn't have much of an appetite and I am worried that the phenobarbital that they are giving him makes him to tired to do anything. he did try to eat last night but not much. He drinks really well and he is responsive to me. He tries to stand an he quacks at me and seems to know what is going on

I just called the vets office and she said that baby weighs 2.3 lbs. He is till the same size as he was a few months back. Not sure if that means anything. Doc is going to call me when he is free to discuss the tubing idea. He is drinking a lot and is taking his supplements in the water. He doesn't have much of an appetite and I am worried that the phenobarbital that they are giving him makes him to tired to do anything. he did try to eat last night but not much. He drinks really well and he is responsive to me. He tries to stand an he quacks at me and seems to know what is going on
I would ask the Dr about the phenobarbital if it's causing him to be overly drugged.

I plan on it. It doesn't seem to help anyway, so I think he would be more responsive not taking that and just getting the proper nutrients and liquids in him. He tries to stand and preen and he just falls over. He seems to be drugged so I am worried that this will make him not drink or eat like he should to get the help he needs.

I plan on it.  It doesn't seem to help anyway, so I think  he would be more responsive not taking that and just getting the proper nutrients and liquids in him.  He tries to stand and preen and he just falls over.  He seems to be drugged so I am worried that this will make him not drink or eat like he should to get the help he needs.

I would follow the doctors orders with the phenobarbital, but I would add tube feeding. Look at this picture and let us know what his breastbone looks like.

This is our first time doing this so we really aren't sure what category he falls into. He has never been a big duck. He is smaller and was the runt of the bunch. Here are some pictures if that helps. Not really sure what category I would put him in as I have never done this.

Back
Top Bottom