Duck Health

dazza1965

Songster
8 Years
Dec 29, 2013
I've got a Silver Appleyard miniature duck that appears to be limping. She will struggle to walk and rest a lot. This happened last year (possibly the year before and again this year. She is about 5 yrs old. It happens about this time of year during laying season. (I'm in the UK) she will go lame and occasionally I have to pick her up and put here to bed. But the next morning will bounce out of the hut as if nothing had happened. She does not seem to have an egg stuck and it can't be anything too serious otherwise she may have died by now. It's just a mystery and wondered if anyone else has had similar issue? we have another slightly younger Appleyard and she is fine.

I've got a Silver Appleyard miniature duck that appears to be limping. She will struggle to walk and rest a lot. This happened last year (possibly the year before and again this year. She is about 5 yrs old. It happens about this time of year during laying season. (I'm in the UK) she will go lame and occasionally I have to pick her up and put here to bed. But the next morning will bounce out of the hut as if nothing had happened. She does not seem to have an egg stuck and it can't be anything too serious otherwise she may have died by now. It's just a mystery and wondered if anyone else has had similar issue? we have another slightly younger Appleyard and she is fine.
I have a Mallard/Pekin cross 1 & 1/2 months old who was fine up until one week ago. Now his leg looks deformed. There are no obvious marks on him & he seems to have an awful time walking. His balance is off & he sways his neck when he tries to walk. What could have caused this & should he be put down? I've never had to do that before & it makes me heart sick, but I don't what him to suffer. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you miss Lydia: I'll go to Tractor Supply again tomorrow to get some niacin. I'm not a computer person. I only go on my computer for a few places like this one. I don't like to medicate any of my buddies unless it's necessary. I prefer holistic. Ways, but will try anything when they are in trouble. I have trouble getting pictures to put on my computer or phone, but w/BY duck forum I'll give it a go. Is there anything else I should get at Tractor supply, bandages, antiseptic cream etc.? I appreciate your input.

Have you checked the bottom of his feet for bumble foot. Have you been supplementing with a form of niacin? A good picture of his legs and a video of him walking would be good.
Pekin even Pekin cross need more niacin than smaller breeds of ducklings.
I was afraid I would cause more harm than good if I was to catch him. He is in the medium pen w/4 others. I will get him & figure out what the problem is. It progressed so fast. One day he's limping the next he's walking crooked swinging his neck as he walks & trying not to use his leg.

You really need to pick him up and examine him. Sounds like it could be a niacin deficiency.
I will. Thank you for all your help. How can he have a niacin deficiency when he loves the dry cob, fruits (watermelon is the favorite) & alfalfa. Wouldn't all that cover the vitamin situation?

Back
Top Bottom