Duck Help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mascowden, Jun 14, 2017.

1. mascowden

mascowden Hatching

Jun 14, 2017
    My duck got stuck in the kiddie pool last night. When I got him out this morning he couldn't walk. What should I do?

2. I have no idea, but for future reference put a brick in the pool to be used as a step. A step to get in is good too. How old is the duck? Hopefully they're just incredibly sore.

3. mascowden

mascowden Hatching

Jun 14, 2017
    It is about 4 months old. Thanks for the tip.

4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

How is the Duck doing today?.....You must always have safe ways into and out of the pool....Possibly just got exhausted trying to get out....

5. mascowden

mascowden Hatching

Jun 14, 2017
    He is doing a little better. He seems to be isolated from the flock which worries me.

6. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

He is tired...If no one is being mean to it?...Leave it in its home so you do not cause stress...Has it gotten up at all?

7. mascowden

mascowden Hatching

Jun 14, 2017
    It has been moving around just not very well

8. Duckstruck

Duckstruck Songster

Mar 12, 2016
    East Tennessee
    I've had an issue with a duck who didn't want to walk. I separated her in a dog kennel so she could get to food and water. I believe she had malnutrition, so I changed the feed to chicken layer pellets. It took her a few weeks to be strong enough to stand and get around.
    The main thing I learned was patience. She needed to take her time to heal.
    @chickens really is probably right though, given the circumstances. He swam all night and has worked for those hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: