Chocy_duck

Chirping
Nov 13, 2020
Hello, I have a female kahki campbell who when I let out this morning at 4.30am was fine and herself. A few hours later I went out to check them and she had a very low abdomin and was in the corner not moving just standing. Then later on she had moved to the night time quarters and has just sat there. She ate alot this morning as normal and now she hasn't eaten in a few hours. I gave her a bowl of water which she is using. She is just sleeping and not moving at all. This morning I found a small egg our very first one in the night time quarters and thought it might be her sisters (a call duck) as she was making a nest under the tree. Everyone else is acting fine. Is this what kahkis do at the beginning? Is she about to start laying? Is she confused on what is going on with her body? Is she egg bound? I tried to feel for an egg but I don't know what I'm feeling. Is this normal for fist time layers?

Attachments

• 20201228_150657.jpg
    20201228_150657.jpg
    856.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20201228_145934.jpg
    20201228_145934.jpg
    686.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20201228_145337.jpg
    20201228_145337.jpg
    807.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20201228_080824.jpg
    20201228_080824.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 8
Speaking from my personal experience, it's very possible she may be suffering from some sort of egg binding. Egg binding just means the egg is passing through her oviduct at a slower rate than normal and does not necessarily mean it's stuck in the oviduct. This is common with new layers. Birds that are egg bound, tend to hide in the corner of the coop from the flock, drink lots of water, but not much feed. Since birds do not have a diaphragm, the prolonged internal pressure of the egg on their lungs can cause a little dyspnea. I see your bird is breathing out of her mouth, but you did not state if it's hot in the coop or not.

This problem normally resolves itself on its own, but it may be wise to give her a calcium supplement if she continues acting this way. You can give her 1ml of calcium gluconate 23% found at your feed store, or crush up tums with water, and give her a few drops orally. This will help her contract the egg out of her body faster. If her condition worsens, you may bring her inside, and set her in a warm, humidified room with plenty of water.

Ththankyou. I found her dead this morning in the corner. She didn't want to drink at all just a few sips. Nothing makes sense to me. 😭😭😭😭
Speaking from my personal experience, it's very possible she may be suffering from some sort of egg binding. Egg binding just means the egg is passing through her oviduct at a slower rate than normal and does not necessarily mean it's stuck in the oviduct. This is common with new layers. Birds that are egg bound, tend to hide in the corner of the coop from the flock, drink lots of water, but not much feed. Since birds do not have a diaphragm, the prolonged internal pressure of the egg on their lungs can cause a little dyspnea. I see your bird is breathing out of her mouth, but you did not state if it's hot in the coop or not.

This problem normally resolves itself on its own, but it may be wise to give her a calcium supplement if she continues acting this way. You can give her 1ml of calcium gluconate 23% found at your feed store, or crush up tums with water, and give her a few drops orally. This will help her contract the egg out of her body faster. If her condition worsens, you may bring her inside, and set her in a warm, humidified room with plenty of water.

😭 It is horrible when you lose one suddenly, and you feel so helpless and confused. I am very sorry for your loss. One of my ducks -- who was alive Christmas Eve morning -- walked into the shelter later in the day, and that's where I found Grace Kelly's body. You will be in my thoughts.

Very sorry for your loss. If you wish to get a better idea of the cause of her death, you could send her to your state veterinary necropsy lab, given that you have not buried her yet.

Back
Top Bottom