1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vyper, Oct 1, 2014.

1. vyper

vyper Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2014
    Enola,PA.
    A dog attacked one of my ducks 5 days ago. Her left hip and upper leg is swollen and she can't lift the leg ! There doesn't seem to be any break and she can stand on it but not lift it up ! Could it be out of socket ?

2. vyper

vyper Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2014
    Enola,PA.
    She is healing well feathers are growing back! Her hip are seems to be the problem ! In the water it just trails behind her ! As you can see she can stand on it just not lift it to walk ![​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

3. vyper

vyper Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2014
    Enola,PA.
    [​IMG]

4. vyper

vyper Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2014
    Enola,PA.
    [​IMG]

5. vyper

vyper Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2014
    Enola,PA.
    [​IMG]

6. vyper

vyper Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2014
    Enola,PA.
    [​IMG]

7. vyper

vyper Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2014
    Enola,PA.
    [​IMG]

8. vyper

vyper Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2014
    Enola,PA.
    I checked my duck really good and it seems likto me her left leg sits back farther than the front ! That's why she can't lift it ! When unfelt hem and compared then one dies back farther. Could that have popped out and went back ?[​IMG]

9. vyper

vyper Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2014
    Enola,PA.
    [​IMG]

10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes, she could have a dislocated joint. If at all possible, a vet's help would be best. I do not know how to reset a joint like that.

In the meantime, give her as much time floating in lukewarm water in a tub as you can, see if the warm water and gentle motion help get things back in place. You might also try contacting a waterfowl rehabber for information or references.

There is a poultry podiatry site

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by