Duck help!

vyper

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 1, 2014
Enola,PA.
A dog attacked one of my ducks 5 days ago. Her left hip and upper leg is swollen and she can't lift the leg ! There doesn't seem to be any break and she can stand on it but not lift it up ! Could it be out of socket ?

She is healing well feathers are growing back! Her hip are seems to be the problem ! In the water it just trails behind her ! As you can see she can stand on it just not lift it to walk !
[/IMG][/IMG]

I checked my duck really good and it seems likto me her left leg sits back farther than the front ! That's why she can't lift it ! When unfelt hem and compared then one dies back farther. Could that have popped out and went back ?

Yes, she could have a dislocated joint. If at all possible, a vet's help would be best. I do not know how to reset a joint like that.

In the meantime, give her as much time floating in lukewarm water in a tub as you can, see if the warm water and gentle motion help get things back in place. You might also try contacting a waterfowl rehabber for information or references.

There is a poultry podiatry site

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Back
Top Bottom