Please help, ideas for limping chicken

Caityvoss

Chirping
Jan 24, 2022
Hi, my chicken started limping when I got back from a vacation 2 weeks ago. I examined her leg and felt around nothing seems noticeably wrong. I’ve since then had to separate her from the flock because she was getting pecked at and I figured she would be able to heal faster. She stills keeps the leg lifted and leaves the leg in front of her when she lays. I’ve been sprinkling vitamin b complex for a couple days on her food… I’m worried she won’t ever get better, does anyone have any other ideas to help her heal??

Attachments

• FA5296E3-2819-4378-AA0B-0B7DDADF32DE.jpeg
    FA5296E3-2819-4378-AA0B-0B7DDADF32DE.jpeg
    810 KB · Views: 44
Feel up to the hip, any injuries or hot/swelling? Are they vaccinated fir meraks? Can she function the foot?
When I get home I feel up to the hip but I felt all the way up the leg and didn’t feel anything, I was told she was vaccinated for meraks when I bought her… she doesn’t curl her foot in or anything she kinda leaves it like in the picture

Have you checked under her foot?
Since she's being pecked on, best to keep her separated in a small cage. Let her rest up in the event it's a sprain or muscle injury. Very gently, are you able to move her leg under her? Wondering if she jumped from a roost, hurt the hip joint. Since no visible injury, I'd keep her separated in a small area, giving her time to mend. Keep us updated with any changes.

Have you checked under her foot?
Since she's being pecked on, best to keep her separated in a small cage. Let her rest up in the event it's a sprain or muscle injury. Very gently, are you able to move her leg under her? Wondering if she jumped from a roost, hurt the hip joint. Since no visible injury, I'd keep her separated in a small area, giving her time to mend. Keep us updated with any changes.
I have tried putting her foot down and sometimes she’ll lightly step on it and other times she will immediately put it in front of her while holding it up.. I just feel so bad for her
Thank you!

I’ve been sprinkling vitamin b complex for a couple days on her food
Marek's disease comes to mind, but hopefully she's just suffered injury and will recover soon.

Instead of sprinkling the vitamin B-Complex on her food, give it to her directly if it's in tablet form (1/4-1/2 tablet Daily). This way you know she's getting the vitamins.
If it's sprinkled, how do you know she's even getting it. .?

Marek's disease comes to mind, but hopefully she's just suffered injury and will recover soon.

Instead of sprinkling the vitamin B-Complex on her food, give it to her directly if it's in tablet form (1/4-1/2 tablet Daily). This way you know she's getting the vitamins.
If it's sprinkled, how do you know she's even getting it. .?
I can do that I was sprinkling it on some little treats I gave her, I didn’t have tablets unfortunately… but I’ll switch it out thank you!

I can do that I was sprinkling it on some little treats I gave her, I didn’t have tablets unfortunately… but I’ll switch it out thank you!
If you are watching her actually consume the vitamin powder on her treats, then it should be o.k.
Sprinkled on something like dry feed, then the powder will just sort of settle to the bottom of the feed dish and won't be consumed.

Back
Top Bottom