Duck hens mating???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sunny Side Up, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Have you ever seen this happen?

I have 5 Khaki Campbell ducks now 14 weeks old, sexed at the hatchery, supposed to be 4 hens and 1 drake. I've kept zip-ties on their legs to ID them. It's easy to see a difference between Webster, the drake, and the other 4 ducks. He's chunkier and a different color. And I've witnessed him mating in the pool with the others.

But today I saw one hen crouched in the grass and another hen sliding off from on top of her. I didn't catch everything they were doing together, but it sure looked like they were trying to mate.

Could another one of my ducks be a drake? Or are they just confused? Or inventive? Unconventional or liberated?

2. chickmamawannabe

chickmamawannabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Canby, Or-y-gun
    I used to have 2 ducks that did that all the time. They were the only 2 I had, so maybe they were just lonely. [​IMG] In fact, I've seen alot of female ducks "mating". I don't know, maybe it's just a duck thing. [​IMG]

3. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    [​IMG]

not sure it's just a duck thing.

4. chickmamawannabe

Aug 20, 2008
    Canby, Or-y-gun
    True. I worked at a zoo for 8 years, and you have no idea how many gay animals there were! [​IMG] Especially birds for some reason. [​IMG]

5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    It has nothing do do with sexuality.

It is a dominance behavior.

6. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    It's the same with dogs....our female would try to do the deed with our male (roles reversed) even though she didn't have the equipment. Ever heard of what happens when two male dogs get together? It's the same thing, pecking order stuff....I wouldn't worry...

7. Sunny Side Up

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I wasn't worried, just curious. I've never seen the chicken hens doing this, and these are my first ducks. My main concern was that I might have gotten an extra drake when I wanted only one.

8. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    I'd say dominance too, though my drakes and gander will mount anything with feathers (OK, so they stick to the other water birds and leave the chickens alone, but seriously, it doesn't matter the gender or the species, they just have fun with everyone.) I haven't noticed it with the females, but I have so few...

9. Sunny Side Up

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Today I had a duck sandwich in the pool! One hen mounted another hen in the water, then the drake swam over and mounted the second hen. Triple-decker ducks!
    [​IMG]

10. chickmamawannabe

Aug 20, 2008
    Canby, Or-y-gun
    Quote:I'm sure that's true in a lot of cases, including this one, but I'm talking about penguins, parrots, and other birds that would actually "pair up" during the mating season and sit on the nest together. In fact, it wasn't just two females that were doing this, there were male "pairs" too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by