3bird

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 2, 2017
Rockland, Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Hello All!

Our seven silver Appleyards are a little over four weeks old, and we need to finish the duckhouse so we can get them to their permanent diggs. We're framing up the front of the house now, and we have a question on optimum duck house door size. The door provides entrance to the duckhouse from the enclosed run and is 2.5' off the ground. As you know, the silver Appleyards are a big breed, and we understand that ducks in general need a larger door than chickens, especially when using a ramp. What is the ideal door size?

Thanks in advance.

i have blue Swedish ducks (which i think are a medium size breed) but with my ducks am getting geese so these are our door size. i think its 10 wide by 20 tall (inches)

Thanks. Do you have a ramp, or is it ground level?
our door is maybe 1-1.5 feet off the ground, so we used a ramp (just made out of plywood) but my ducks just started going out side, so there not used to using the ramp but they had no trouble getting out or in at night (with a little help from me)

Yes it is! Any thoughts on door size for these quackers?
I'm new to ducks myself, but a quick Google search (which leads right back to BYC) showed me a variety of answers with the general consensus being approx. 14"wide by 18"tall to 18"x18". One person, who specified they owned Silver Appleyard ducks, uses a 24"x24" doorway BUT said 20" x 20" would probably be sufficient.
I hope this helps!

Thanks! I'm in the field building, so I really appreciate your research. I looked around when I was doing initial plans and reached out to a bunch of folks who had posted, but I didn't get any responses. I was hoping to have a chat with someone to really pick his or her brain...alas...I'm going to rough in 20x20 and see how it looks. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom