Duck House......ducks won't use

JFDJason

In the Brooder
Oct 16, 2018
We recently moved our ducks outside. They used to be in the lower section of our coop with the new chickens that we got at the same time as the 2 ducks. We built them a nice little area right next to the chicken run. Put in a nice house for them with lots of straw in it. This was about 2 weeks ago and they still have not used it at all. I have placed them inside of it and they will look around, throw their bills at the straw a little and then come right back outside. It is starting to get chilly here in Minnesota at night and they want to either just sit outside or sit inside of their pond that I have for them as well. My wife was getting a little concerned for them regarding the temperature. Do I do the following:

1. Starting placing them in their home each night for about a week and closing up the door so they can't get out till the morning? This way they might become use to their "home"

2. Little mother nature take care of it and when the ducks get cold they will look for a warmer area?

We are new to ducks and just trying to figure this part out. Thanks for the replys.

I lock my ducks up every night - we have too many predators here. I'd say both - lock them up at night so they know that is there safe/warm space - give them a few treats while they are in there to 'train' them (mine go in with 'night night'). Then later they should want to go in on their own when it's cold/windy. I would always lock them up at night though - like I said, too many predators... Good luck!!!:)

I lock mine in a house, within their very fortified run. If they had their choice they would never use their houses. I put them inside before I go to bed, and everyone gets treats for doing so. Some nights they go in with just the night night ducks chant, last night they had to be herded in. Sometimes they are inside when I go to lock them up. I think the key is consistency on our part, which I lack.

Back
Top Bottom