DUCK HOUSE

Ducks left un protected at night especially will eventually be killed and eaten. Just the facts of life.
sad.png
I know which is why I need to get the permanent fence up and house done. They were able to get out of the temp set up and at first were easy to corral back to it for bed time where they were locked up. But they got fast and learned to fly so when I would go to corral them for bedtime they started flying off and I feel it was making it worse because then they got separated at dark in neighboring yards. I tried a few times to close them in the garage with food and water. Though some how each time they escaped the garage. No clue how it is possible except I have 4 Houdidni circus ducks who can pull a disappearing act. Locked in garage at night and come morning when going to let them out, they were already gone. Don't ask me how my garage is secure.

Ducks left un protected at night especially will eventually be killed and eaten. Just the facts of life.
sad.png
I know which is why I need to get the permanent fence up and house done. They were able to get out of the temp set up and at first were easy to corral back to it for bed time where they were locked up. But they got fast and learned to fly so when I would go to corral them for bedtime they started flying off and I feel it was making it worse because then they got separated at dark in neighboring yards. I tried a few times to close them in the garage with food and water. Though some how each time they escaped the garage. No clue how it is possible except I have 4 Houdidni circus ducks who can pull a disappearing act. Locked in garage at night and come morning when going to let them out, they were already gone. Don't ask me how my garage is secure.

I am loving all these pics and ideas! I haven't gotten much done on my duck area so this gives me motivation. I have a temperary set up that the ducks finally abandoned and they are now 100% free ranged. My DH loves that they are free ranged I don't like that they are 100% free ranged it makes me nervous they will get eaten hit by a car or wander off and not come home. They do leave sometimes and don't come home all day. So I need to get my butt in gear and go outside and work on the house. It is a old chicken house passed down from a friend. I took off the outside walls removed the roosting poles and started cleaning it out. It needs to get thoroughly cleaned and disinfected and new walls put on with a window a door and vents. The little house has nest boxes but I hear ducks don't use nest boxes.

My duck house has nests and my ducks use those to lay their eggs. They're not up off the ground like chicken nests (I have those about 12" to 2' off the ground, depending which house).

Some amazing houses here! I have onky had my ducks for a week and already planning building a bigger and better house.... I notice a llot are on the ground, so they dont need to be raised up like a chicken coop then?

Thanks.

Naa. In fact most breeds of duck do not appreciate being made to ascend ramps.

I first had my ducks in one section of the chicken coop that was about 3' off the ground. It took them time and help from me but they learned to go up the ramp. But then I moved them and built them their own house which is on the ground.

I haven't finished it yet but here is the start of my Ducks house

This is an old chicken coop converted to duck house

I plan to take the legs off so it will sit flat on the ground.

This will be their yard fully fenced in with a pond(all scrap wood will be cleared also

and here are my ducks

Last edited:
I haven't finished it yet but here is the start of my Ducks house

This is an old chicken coop converted to duck house

I plan to take the legs off so it will sit flat on the ground.

This will be their yard fully fenced in with a pond(all scrap wood will be cleared also

and here are my ducks
That is really a nice duck house. and nice yard& pond and beautiful ducks. One bit of advise, I wouldn't have the house sitting all the way on the ground. In the heat of the day your ducks will like being able to get under the house for shade. But of course you do what you want. I love the windows lots of ventilations, so important for their health.

Back
Top Bottom