Duck Houses

Hear is what I built

Here is what we have built. My ducks are allowed to be free range only when we are home. We live on 6 acres with a pond, though near a neighborhood and my ducks tends to wander a little too far some times! Still needs some improvements as our duck population grows. Currently trying to aquaint 2 new Pekins and then 2 rouens in another week. Also have 1 female that is nesting on at least 10 eggs right now. So will have to section them off when they hatch as well. We had to add netting over the top due loosing several ducks to hawks and owls. We have also had a bob-cat take my oldest while they were out over night. The duck have learned to put themselves up when it gets dusk and all I have to do is close to fence door.

Good morning! I am new to this site & new to chickens & ducks. I have a large (4000 gallon) pond in my fenced acre back yard. I love your floating duck house! We are going to build one for our ducks. I'm wondering though what size yours is & what you used to float it? :yiipchick

This is the pond we had built for our ducks. They have a little beach they
can walk out of, there's a little swamp area that the water filters through
plants for biological filtering, and then there's a waterfall in the back.
We'll occasionally throw in feeder fish for the ducks, and it takes them
a few hours to catch them all.

How'd you make the pond???

This is my housing- for now. I'm building another coop soon (duck bug!). The coop part is 6'x4' and can house up to 10 ducks, and the run is 26 sq ft. This is situated beside a horse shelter (run in shed, three sided, etc) that gives them shade, along with 350 sq ft (soon to be more) day run area (4 foot high double-layered chicken wire with tight smooth wires at ground level, the middle, and the top, also with a 10" apron). They have bathing pans and the occasional day trip to the dugout nearby.

I don't have pictures of the whole set up, but I'll post more tomorrow. I plan on building another coop to I can have up to 20 adult ducks, or 18 adults and 10 ducklings (up to 4 weeks old).

Good morning! I am new to this site & new to chickens & ducks. I have a large (4000 gallon) pond in my fenced acre back yard. I love your floating duck house! We are going to build one for our ducks. I'm wondering though what size yours is & what you used to float it? :yiipchick

I don't know what they used, but a lot of people use empty hollow barrels (sometimes partially filled with water or rocks so the water level is higher on the house), tons of styrofoam (this doesn't work well), or foam encased in plastic

www.pondcreationsbysean.com :)

He banged that pond out in three days. I think my wife and I could have done it, but it would have been pretty much a whole summer of weekends.

Basically it's a hole dug in the ground, with any large rocks removed, and smooth clean dirt built up on one side and to smooth out the bottom. There are two liners: a thick felt underneath a thick plastic liner. There's a filter on one end, with the filter pipe running through the bog to the waterfall. The filter pipe has small holes along it every 8 inches or so in the bog area. The plants in the bog area are definitely needed to help filter out the nitrates from the water.

It's about 2.5 feet deep (any deeper and the town would have considered it a pool, and taxed and regulated it accordingly), and about 10'x15' at the top.

I bet you could find some web sites that give instructions. I think it's very doable as a home project, but I really do think what Sean did in 3 days probably would have taken us 12.

www.pondcreationsbysean.com :)

He banged that pond out in three days. I think my wife and I could have done it, but it would have been pretty much a whole summer of weekends.

Basically it's a hole dug in the ground, with any large rocks removed, and smooth clean dirt built up on one side and to smooth out the bottom. There are two liners: a thick felt underneath a thick plastic liner. There's a filter on one end, with the filter pipe running through the bog to the waterfall. The filter pipe has small holes along it every 8 inches or so in the bog area. The plants in the bog area are definitely needed to help filter out the nitrates from the water.

It's about 2.5 feet deep (any deeper and the town would have considered it a pool, and taxed and regulated it accordingly), and about 10'x15' at the top.

I bet you could find some web sites that give instructions. I think it's very doable as a home project, but I really do think what Sean did in 3 days probably would have taken us 12.
Thanks! I was thinking about once I figure out how to do the pond, can you give ducks fish to catch and eat? I know wild ducks do, but would domestic ducks know what to do if they saw a fish? and if so what kind/age fish should I give them?

Back
Top Bottom