Duck house… on water?

Just an update for anyone who’s interested-
They built a coop for the ducks that they sleep in every night and they free range during the day. They immediately knew what to do, first night they went straight to the coop and have done so ever since.

I was worried that once they got out into the large pond they wouldn’t be able to gather them where they needed to go but they have instinctively taken to the coop! My hearts happy, they have really grown to love the ducks and seem to be taking great care of them.

Of course they have the floating duck house still out there and haven’t even used it once (told them those 😝)

Thanks for everyone’s help and giving me the courage to express my concerns to them ❤️
That is great to hear that they changed their plans and are taking good care of the ducks.

That’s what I’m afraid of. I can’t imagine them using that thing. The potential new owners believe that even if they nest on the edge of the water they’ll just rush right in and away from any predators.
This year I lost my first 2 adults from a predator. It's not fun finding bodies/feathers on the side of the pond. The two I lost contributed to a bunch that hatched this year I'm extremely protective when it comes to who gets my ducks.

Hi again,

So about 8 weeks ago I ordered 2 Anaconas in the mail and received 6! As much as I would love to keep them all, I can’t. So I my mom’s boss from work(who I’ve met before) offered to take 4 them.
She has 3 acres of land, a pond, and some chickens (but never had ducks before). And it sounded great!
Well it’s getting close to time to send them to their new home and I asked my mom if her boss was ready to take them as she was in the process of building a duck house and she said yes! Great I’m excited! But then I received pic of the duck house they built and I’m a little unsure…
It seems small for 4 grown ducks, and it’s floating on top of the water. No run, no fence around the property, nothing. I’m worried about predators, but the person who is getting them seems to think that the water will protect them Bc they can just swim away. I have no idea how they’re going to teach them to nest inside the duck house at night if there isn’t a way to keep them secure (even if they could all fit in there)
My question is, has anyone else put their coop on the pond before? Is it just as safe as a regular coop? Safer?
I’m not feeling too good about sending my babies there, feels like I’m sending them to their death.

Pictured below is the duck house they built:
Mine I built big enough for at least 6-7 full grown ducks. But they haven’t used it yet.

Attachments

• 66FE0F1B-153E-44A7-9F08-31221BC45BCC.jpeg
    66FE0F1B-153E-44A7-9F08-31221BC45BCC.jpeg
    453.2 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom