Duck ID please

DoubletakeFarm

Songster
8 Years
Feb 23, 2013
NE Ohio
can anyone tell me what type of ducks these are? They live in a retention pond at my in-laws in South Carolina. I said wood duck LOL (I know that's not what they are)

For the moment I would say female but it's built like a young male, consider it female unless it start showing male actions.

Either way needless junk is right they are Muscovys

Last edited:
Thanks guys. When I was down there last year I saw their ducks and told them they are muscovy. She sent this picture and said they were different ducks this time. Still look like muscovy to me too. Awfully friendly for wild ducks, someone must be feeding them.

Can anyone out there tell me what these ducks are? I bought them from the local feed store who told me they were Peking.... I think they are too brown for peking though. Another question, can anyone tell by the pix if either is drake or duck? They are about 5wks old
thx

Can anyone out there tell me what these ducks are? I bought them from the local feed store who told me they were Peking.... I think they are too brown for peking though. Another question, can anyone tell by the pix if either is drake or duck? They are about 5wks old
thx

They are too young to tell the sex by looks. A drake feather doesn't come in till 15 weeks give or take. But do either of then quack yet? Females quack while males are raspy and peep for a while.

They are too young to tell the sex by looks. A drake feather doesn't come in till 15 weeks give or take. But do either of then quack yet? Females quack while males are raspy and peep for a while.

We did notice a difference in the one without the puffball on its head. That one had a much deeper quack-ish sound and the other still a peep. But Ya, it may be too early. Thanks for helping though! :)

They could be Pekin Runner mixes, something about their posture and bill shape looks Runnerish to me.

Amiga- thanks, I thought they seemed a little runner-ish too. But they are "supposed" to be from a hatchery. Thought they might be Buff Orpingtons??? Thoughts? Also, do you know if the puff on the one will stay poofy?

Back
Top Bottom