Duck identification

Iutshrout

Hatching
Oct 19, 2021
These 2 ducklings made a beeline for me this morning while I was outside with my dog. While I was attempting to go get my phone, they wandered in through the open door....and now they won't leave. No mom insight.

Any ideal what type they are and how old they might be?

Attachments

• IMG_20211019_093944_01.jpg
    IMG_20211019_093944_01.jpg
    978.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 16346689255512423028623684127815.jpg
    16346689255512423028623684127815.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 3
Sorry about that, had to register real quick. They should be added now
I'm leaning towards buff for both although there are other breeds that at this age can have similar looks. Age I would guess 1-2 weeks and the one with the eye stripe in the one photo at least appears to be pigeon towed which is a sign of a niacin deficiency and will need a B complex like Durvet's.

Hello and welcome to BackYard Chickens!

These sure do look to be domesticated. Do people keep ducks in your area? If so, they may have escaped. Or someone likely dumped them.

I would guess that they are either Pekin or Buff ducks, around 2 weeks old.

They're going to need a brooder, duckling food, and fresh water. Its important that ducks can get their whole bills into water to clean them out. Ducks also need water to be able to eat their food.

If you're up for it, and have the space any money, as long as its legal in your area ducks can make great pets.
If not you can post on Facebook or CL to find a home for them, or if they are lost you may find th previous owner.

Hello and welcome to BackYard Chickens!

These sure do look to be domesticated. Do people keep ducks in your area? If so, they may have escaped. Or someone likely dumped them.

I would guess that they are either Pekin or Buff ducks, around 2 weeks old.

They're going to need a brooder, duckling food, and fresh water. Its important that ducks can get their whole bills into water to clean them out. Ducks also need water to be able to eat their food.

If you're up for it, and have the space any money, as long as its legal in your area ducks can make great pets.
If not you can post on Facebook or CL to find a home for them, or if they are lost you may find th previous owner.
I appreciate the help. I live in an apartment complex with a pond right behind me....so its completely possible that they were dropped off. I havent seen any ducklings out there for a while....plus all the ducks are usually mallards.

Not real sure what i'm supposed to do with them at this point, I will have to attempt to find them a home. They have been inside with me most of the day (in a box). Changing their water when ever it gets dirty. When i have taken them outside, they just stay on my little porch...mainly by the door. I went to TSC and picked up this food, "Purina Optimum Nutrition for Strong Starts and Healthy Ducks.

Attachments

• 16346711404695444455106208158158.jpg
    16346711404695444455106208158158.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 3
That food should be ok.
They will need a heat source to keep them warm. A Rubbermaid tote will work better than a box if you have a good size one. Put a light over them at one end, give them the option to move closer or farther away from the heat. Like around 80-85 in the warmest spot.

That food is great for them but it is a pellet (what I feed my ducks). If they are eating it, fine. If not, soak it in some warm water before you give it to them. Or, you can grind it up in a blender before you give it to them. You are a good person saving them. They would not make it on their own.

That food is great for them but it is a pellet (what I feed my ducks). If they are eating it, fine. If not, soak it in some warm water before you give it to them. Or, you can grind it up in a blender before you give it to them. You are a good person saving them. They would not make it on their own.
They seem to be eating it just fine, not sure how much to give them. But they eat drink swim and then nap...repeat. I've found someone who will take them on Friday. She has experience with ducks and other kinds of animal rescues.

Attachments

• IMG_20211019_180824_839.jpg
    IMG_20211019_180824_839.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 3
They seem to be eating it just fine, not sure how much to give them. But they eat drink swim and then nap...repeat. I've found someone who will take them on Friday. She has experience with ducks and other kinds of animal rescues.
Pretty much give them as much as they want. When I raised ducklings on this food they did not grow too fast or get angel wing.

Back
Top Bottom