Duck in shock, not doing good. Please help.

Quackers3211

Songster
May 18, 2018
My 3 year old welsh harlequin Jenny was attacked through her inclosure twice by a bobcat. 2 of my ducks got killed on New Year’s Day and Jenny got her leg scratched. She was drooling and not eating but began to perk up and start eating, but after the second attack when her same leg got scratched she has only drank.

I put electrolytes and probiotics in her water and she is with her two remaining friends bubbles and ducky who are fine. She won’t eat and she keeps flopping her head around. She is now inside in a warm dark room with her friends. She also walks all wobbly. I checked her all over for injuries and the only thing was her scratches that aren’t very deep at all and only one barely even bled. I keep spraying it with stuff to help disinfect it.

Sorry for the long paragraph I’ve just lost so many ducks and I don’t want to lose another one. I’ll upload pictures in the morning.

Here is a thread that is almost exactly like Jenny’s but the duck didn’t make it. I’m hoping my outcome will be different.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-duck-in-shock-i-think.935967/page-4

Jenny has been like this for two days now and is only getting worse.

Ducks are my favorite animal and I decided to get some and I love them very much. I even bought them Christmas presents, which may sound silly but I love my ducks a lot. I ran outside to confront the bobcat but thankfully it ran off because I’m not sure how well I’d do against a bobcat in a fight. I really need help and any advice at all is welcome. I really want her to make it.

I am so sorry for this experience, and I am sad that I can't offer much help as I am inexperienced when it comes to ducks. For now I would make sure that she is drinking ok, because hydration is important. And as you said, make sure to just let her relax in a dark, warm, and low stress environment. Hopefully she will get some good rest overnight and will be stronger in the morning. Again, I have no experience with ducks, but maybe tomorrow you could try giving her something nutritious like some mashed egg, or mix some feed with water so it makes a mush. I hope all goes well :hugs

Cat scratches are really bad as far as bacteria goes. I don't usually advocate use of antibiotics without a definite diagnosis, but in the instance of cat scratches you may want to start her on a broad spectrum antibiotic...even penicillin would be lots better than nothing. Sorry this has happened to your duck!!

Thank you, I’m pretty sure I have some antibiotics for my animals that I’ll start her on tomorrow morning, Incase as you have said there is any bacteria in her system. I cleaned and disinfected her wound as soon as the bobcat gave it to her, but it was only a small scratch that broke the skin and barley bled. The other scratches just scraped off some of her leg scales. I’ve been spraying some stuff on it that I’ll post a picture of in the morning Incase it helps along with pictures of Jenny.

What a bad experience! Important is that she will start eating again! You can try to add some Glucose and Vitamin C to her water. Glucose will give her some important calories and the Vitamin C promotes appetite. Have you tried to feed her meal-worms?

Poor duckies :hit
That must have been terrifying. If you can get some kind of antibiotic it may be a good idea.
Hopefully it may just be the shock and you can get her through it. You might want to put her in a warm place with a heat source. Not too warm ducks can over heat pretty easily. But keeping her warm calm and quiet for a day or so may help and try to get her to eat. Peas and meal worms are a favorite snack here. You could try those.
Can you take her to the vet?

Back
Top Bottom