Duck in shock

The vets round her only do a Saturday for booked appointments and don't open on bank holiday Mondays. Im Going to try 2 farms tomorrow who have kept ducks for years they might be able to relate. Yeah they only thing I can see is on the but just above the join on his left wing there's a bit of dried black stuff but can't see anything on the skin. The other thing I found was just left from centre of the back a little duct with produces yellow stuff could that be an oil gland?

The vets round her only do a Saturday for booked appointments and don't open on bank holiday Mondays. Im Going to try 2 farms tomorrow who have kept ducks for years they might be able to relate. Yeah they only thing I can see is on the but just above the join on his left wing there's a bit of dried black stuff but can't see anything on the skin. The other thing I found was just left from centre of the back a little duct with produces yellow stuff could that be an oil gland?
Yes that is the oil gland if down closer to the end of the back.

Let us know what you find out please.

The uropygial gland, informally known as the preen gland or the oil gland, is a bilobate sebaceous gland possessed by the majority of birds. It is located dorsally at the base of the tail (between the fourth caudal vertebrae and the pygostyle) and is greatly variable in both shape and size.

This your describing doesn't sound like the oil gland it is too high up. Can you get a pic? It may be a festered wound.

That's not it then. I tried to have a look for it today when I put him back with his friend but couldn't find it. I was when he had a bath. I will bathe him again tonight when I bring him back up. He took a few steps by himself without falling today and he did try to stretch his wings but didn't look comfortable.

This just happened to one of my Pekin ducks last week (actually second time now) She's always been weaker than my others and has a tendency to walk slower and rest more often. Anyhow, she literally could not pick her head up, walking around like she was drunk like you said. Everything I read pointed to what is called Limberneck, or Wry neck, basically botulism. The good news is,she has recovered both times with a little TLC. Keep him separated,in a quiet non stressful place. You need to dilute his system with lots of clean water. Add a little apple cider vinegar to the water and if you have any vitamins with Niacin and Electrolytes that helps a lot. I use Rooster Booster. But any Feed supply store should carry poultry vitamins. I literally had to take her head and put her beak in the water and sometimes she would drink on her own and I would tilt her head up so she could swollow. Other times I would use a syringe and slowly feed her the water. I was vigilant and made sure she was drinking at least every half hour. Try not to stress him out too much though, because rest is also important. I kept her separate from the other ducks a day or two. And within 48 hrs she was good as new.

Good luck, hopefully he pulls through! Keep us updated.

Last edited:
Was this after she was attacked? He was fine before this attack by a some kind of predator. That description sounds pretty similar as well that you have experienced

That's not it then. I tried to have a look for it today when I put him back with his friend but couldn't find it. I was when he had a bath. I will bathe him again tonight when I bring him back up. He took a few steps by himself without falling today and he did try to stretch his wings but didn't look comfortable.
If you can get a pic that would help. If an infection from a wound he may need oral antibiotics.

Glad to hear he is making progress. I am thinking he is very sore.

OK so my local pet supply shop doesn't do any sort of helpful stuff. I have got peas and kale and will look for brewers yeast at asda tonight. I'll be bringing him home again tonight so will try and fees him up on those.

Back
Top Bottom