Duck in shock

darceyduck

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2017
Hi all . I posted on here about my khaki Campbell being decapated and my drake runner possible being attacked as well. This was on Tuesday and he couldn't move or anything he was rolling round like he was drunk. Wouldn't eat or drink. Today he is slightly better eating lettuce and drinking water with oats and sugar in, however I will attach some pictures to see if you scan help diagnose why he can't stand up. Thanks. On the images I'm not holding him just supporting so he doesn't fall over.

I have been following and have not replied till now..:(......I think it will take longer for him to heal...You mentioned yellow substance on him near his wing?....Possible infection?...I use this on all my Ducks... Its an all natural spray antiseptic cleaner you can buy at any livestock store...Acceleryn.....I actually use it on all my pets...It works great.....His muscles are sore...Sprains can take weeks to heal....You could try making him a soupy meal of his regular feed and add in the peas or even dry cat food for the extra protein....:)

Poor Duck...Dont give up yet...He hasn't ...:)

Best wishes...:)

Just because you can't see any external injuries doesn't mean he doesn't have internal injuries. He could have broken bones, ruptured organs, neurological injury or just extensive tissue/muscle damage. If you can get him to a vet that would be ideal because no one will be able to diagnose anything with pictures or even video, if you can't you're just going to have to wait and see if he pulls through.

Poor guy :(

He doesn't seem in pain when he moves it he just won't straighten up. He's eating and drinking and he's not passing anything unusual and he's quacking more today. I just get the feeling he's in total shock and has been traumatised after what happened. Unfortunately there's aren't any vets round here that deal with these things.

He doesn't seem in pain when he moves it he just won't straighten up. He's eating and drinking and he's not passing anything unusual and he's quacking more today. I just get the feeling he's in total shock and has been traumatised after what happened. Unfortunately there's aren't any vets round here that deal with these things.
Are you keeping him safe and warm? have you tried him in a warm tub of water just to see how he is floating {be sure to stay right with him}

Shock should be wearing off What an awful thing to happen so sorry about your KC was it a raccoon.

He maybe be injured and you just can't see anything outward.

He doesn't seem keen on preening himself at the minute and don't want him to get wet feather. No idea the crop neck and head was gone but left the body

He doesn't seem keen on preening himself at the minute and don't want him to get wet feather. No idea the crop neck and head was gone but left the body
The main reason for floating in nice warm water it to relieve any pain or pressure he may have from injuries to muscles etc. Warm water can help him relax enough he may try to preen and having him in warm water a few times isn't going to give him wet feather, after he is finished pat him dry then use the blow dryer on lowest setting to help him dry off. A vet can give him pain relief and inflammatory meds for pain or inflammation if you can go that route.

I hope you have a very secure house for him to be in while he recovers and after also. Did this happen at night or during the day?

Let us know how he is doing today please.

We have moved them into their old shed and small run however they are in thr sged unless we are there for now until we finis new house and run off. I'm not sure think it must have been the break of dawn. We live on a river bank so there's lots roaming about. I will try that with warm water. He's eating lettuce and plain oats and drinking sugar water. He wiggles his tail but won't use his wings. I'm starting to think it could be his wing on the left side as he doesn't like me touching it and it looks more humped then the other.

We have moved them into their old shed and small run however they are in thr sged unless we are there for now until we finis new house and run off. I'm not sure think it must have been the break of dawn. We live on a river bank so there's lots roaming about. I will try that with warm water. He's eating lettuce and plain oats and drinking sugar water. He wiggles his tail but won't use his wings. I'm starting to think it could be his wing on the left side as he doesn't like me touching it and it looks more humped then the other.
Another thing about getting him in some warm water is you'll be able to look closely for any injuries you missed check out his wing real good underside to if you haven't. I hope he starts to feel better soon, glad to hear he is eating and drinking some, I wouldn't give him much sugar water as it can cause his blood sugar to rise,it's okay for beginning of treatment. Do you have any electrolytes even plain gator aide? Save a chick is a good one too.

Keep us updated.

Last edited:
OK so I've brought him to the house and give him a warm bath he didn't move his wings at all and he was still nearly tipping over. I lofted him out and he preened a tiny bit but wouldn't open his wings. I've put him in the kitchen in a box with bedding and a towel over the top. It literally looks like he has scoliosis or something like his neck is to far to the right and where his breast bone is is almost stckers sticking out like in the pictures. There's not many places open here on good Friday

Back
Top Bottom