Duck info needed

MrsLeeAnn

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2020
Hi everyone... newbie here,
So please bear with me. I can post more info if needed but here goes. My 11-year-old Mallard, Ricky Bobby, is limping very bad. I took him to the vet and he said it’s arthritis. He weighs the same has last year and seems to be in good health. He has no bumble foot. All his poops are green and watery, not consistently thick as they usually were. The doctor gave me some probiotics to give him. He also gave him a steroid shot which didn’t do anything, in my opinion. He eats his regular duck food and peas n wormies n treats. He did fracture that leg about six years ago. But he did recover from it. And now he has a smell on his body. Any advice? Does anybody think he’s passing away slowly? All his feathers look good except for his blue/green feathers look ragged. Eyes r clear. Still lovable... help!

Hello, and welcome to BackYard Chickens. So sorry to hear about your duck.

Could you post a video of him walking? To post a video you'll need to upload it to a video platform like youtube or vimeo, then copy/paste the link here. Regarding the smell, could you do a thorough check over his whole body, including near the vent, for anything abnormal?

Given his age, I would agree with your vet that it's likely due to arthritis which often occurs with older ducks. Sadly, there's not much that can be done for this condition, besides providing supportive care, which would include providing him with deep water to play in, and also to relive the weight off his legs, and ensuring feed and water is easily accessible. What kind of steroid shot did your vet give? For the longterm, I often see vets prescribe Meloxicam, Carprofen, or ketoprofen for arthritis. Could you discuss that with your vet?

How is your duck doing @MrsLeeAnn ?
Hi! Please forgive me for taking so long to reply. I’m so new at this. I did call the vet back n there were 3 ingredients in his shot. I wrote it down and at the moment I can’t find it LOL as soon as I do I will let you know what they are. Ricky is still limping, but the vet explained to me that since he fractured his leg around six years ago, and recovered from it, it’s just arthritis settling in because he’s old. I don’t think this doctor specializes in ducks, but this is all I have around me. He is really trying to do his best. I am also giving him more vitamins now, liquid ones and he is taking probiotics too.

Trying to think of a way to start this conversation. But there is no easy way. Ricky passed away this afternoon, very peacefully as much as I could tell. I picked him up n wrapped him up n rocked him until he passed. He ate breakfast but could not keep it down. He tried to hide from me for a bit until I reached for him. And within 15 minutes he passed. It was like night n day, literally. He lived a wonderful 11 years!! And we all love him💚 I hope the group can get this note from me. Thank you so much for all your advice n friendship 💚💚🦆💚💚

Back
Top Bottom