Duck injured and in severe shock

Is there anywhere I can buy antibiotics for ducks?
Feed stores carry antibiotics for livestock and for blood born infections penicillin is rec. but sounds like Epsom salt compresses maybe needed also. Put some nice warm water into a bowl or bucket add some ES mix well take a clean wash cloth drench in the ES solution wring out just enough it isn't dripping, place over the wound this may help till you've talked to a vet about what you should do. Such a sweet looking duck I hope it makes it through this ordeal.

Feed stores carry antibiotics for livestock and for blood born infections penicillin is rec. but sounds like Epsom salt compresses maybe needed also. Put some nice warm water into a bowl or bucket add some ES mix well take a clean wash cloth drench in the ES solution wring out just enough it isn't dripping, place over the wound this may help  till you've talked to a vet about what you should do. Such a sweet looking duck I hope it makes it through this ordeal. 

I will run to the store first thing in the morning to look for antibiotics and Epsom salt. I heard they only have injectable antibiotics (which I am terrified to do incorrectly!) or dissolvable antibiotics (which I've heard don't work). Do you recommend any specific kind to look for? I have been feeding him some oregano because I read it's a natural antibiotic. Thanks for the advice, he is indeed a sweetie. I hope he pulls through this...

Try a warm bath and putting neosporin on it twice a day. Warm compresses will draw the infection out. I called the vet about my pekins wounds. If you're in doubt take him or at least call and see what they advise. Ive worked large animals as a vet tech.

Do you think neosporin is safe to put where he can reach with his mouth? I've read it can be really dangerous, and he is an excessive preener :/

I will run to the store first thing in the morning to look for antibiotics and Epsom salt. I heard they only have inject-able antibiotics (which I am terrified to do incorrectly!) or dissoluble antibiotics (which I've heard don't work). Do you recommend any specific kind to look for? I have been feeding him some oregano because I read it's a natural antibiotic. Thanks for the advice, he is indeed a sweetie. I hope he pulls through this...
I have a med chart from Twin City Poultry and it recommends Penicillin for these kinds of infections, the powder form will work put 1 tea to 1 gallon of water make sure to mix it real well this is for 8-10 days. your vet may be able to give him an injectable that would only take one shot so I'd check with them first. and keep him where flies can't get to him if he gets maggots in the wound it's really a horrible situation then.

Last edited:
Okay be carful with your dog. Once they taste blood.... Well..... Your dog will try to attack if it has the chance again

Okay be carful with your dog. Once they taste blood.... Well..... Your dog will try to attack if it has the chance again
Very good advise and
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom