Duck is better but still need advice

just curious, did the vet xray the foot? it just looks "wrong" to me, I have ducks and clumsy ones at that, the last time I had a duck foot look like that, one of the bones was broken. Just a tiny fracture, no displacement or anything but it looked similar to yours.
Just asking as a possibility. Not diagnosing or anything.
This is a very good idea. I have no experience with fractures (though I'm sure I will given Marmalade's clumsiness).

Maybe ask your vet about that option?

No, he did not xray her. In fact he didn't really do anything. Cephalexin is the antibiotic used. She is not really walking, but will stand up for very short periods of time. She is also keeping the foot underneath her now. When I first rescued her she dragged both of her legs behind her and was moving only by using her wings. She also laid down with both legs sticking out behind her. :( Thinking back on how bad she was it really is quite amazing that she lived. She has a fighting spirit for sure. I can't believe anyone would let her get so bad....She must have come from one of my neighbors. That, or someone dumped her out here. Some people are not very good people at all.

@Aunt Angus what breed is Marmalade ?​

Oh my goodness! I have been searching for this thread! My notifications stopped for some reason!

How is it going? Did you talk to the vet again about xrays? Is your duckie improving???

And Marmalade has bumblefoot again. I am soaking her in the tricide nightly again. It's slow going.

I am also trying a couple of things to prevent her from getting itagain. Of all my birds, she has more foot problems than others. I bought Tuff Foot, which is a spray for toughening dogs' paws. I've been using it nightly on her feet to see if it helps. The jury is still out on that. I imagine it will be a long while before I know if it works or not. I'm also working on increasing the amount of vitamin A they get, since it appears there's a correlation between lack of vitamin A and foot infections. Agsin, it'll be a while before I notice if there is any benefit.

And Marm's a Welsh Harlequin. I love this breed thus far. My girl is a hatchery bird, but her coloring is on the nicer side for a pet-quality duck. Her bill and feet are very black, and her head is mostly white (though she's gotten a few darker feathers on the top of her head this year - like a toupee!).

I'm so sorry to hear that Marmalade is battling bumblefoot again!! That is good to know about the Vitamin A. In what form are you giving it to her ? I'll also be interested to know if the Tuff foot helps. Is she a "heavy" breed? I was reading that the heavier ducks tend to have more foot problems.

My duck, Sugar Foot, is doing much better. The joint is still swollen but is no longer warm to the touch. She is starting to stand and walking a few steps at a time. I'm wondering now more about the possibility of a fracture and what could possibly be done about it. But what A HUGE difference from the duck that was only laying "flat" a few weeks ago. I did not take her back to the vet yet. She was making pretty good improvement and I felt if she was going to see a vet it should be the exotic vet as the vet in town already said there was nothing that could be done. I haven't had the time to take her over there. It is a 2 hour round trip. Since she has been improving I have decided to play the waiting game. The days are warm so I have been letting her swim every day. She is starting to become more waterproof. She loves her swims.

Update: Took Sugar Foot to the vet yesterday as the joint is still swollen. She is now walking, but not well. The vet gave her an covenia injection and she gets a recheck in 10 days. I continue adding Nutritional yeast to her food and apple cider vinegar to her water. I'm also Cleaning her foot, spraying with Vetericyn and wrapping. I let her go out into the yard with my other ducks and my chickens, under supervision. Everyone seems to accept her just fine. I am hopeful that she will come out of this and get to be a regular duck and do regular duck things :)

Thank you !! Here is a picture of her hanging out with Maxine

Attachments

• IMG_5122.jpg
    IMG_5122.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom