Duck is having very ill and can't seem to control her body

alexflower

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2017
I have a 9 month old female duck that was attacked by an animal a month ago. Originally when I found her after the attack she could not use her legs at all. She had a puncture wound that had become infected under her wing that I treated with veterycyn spray and several doses of penicillin. After 3 weeks of rehab she was able to stand and waddle fairly well with a great appetite and perky personality. I put her back with my other 9 ducks five days ago. She seemed to be doing well until the fourth day when I found her out alone about 20 feet from the pond where all of the ducks spend most of their time. She can't seem to control her head or neck and is have trouble getting to the food and water dish. She almost looks like she is twisting her head and neck so that it's upside down. She cannot use her legs and just flaps her wings to move sporadically. I'm wondering why she is having such trouble when my other ducks have thrived down at the pond and been there for almost two months now. Is she particularly sensitive to the elements? Poisoned? Vitamin deficient? They are all on a mix of crack corn and all flock pellets.

Botulism poisoning? Google the symptoms and check
But botulism symptoms described the duck being paralyzed not extremely young cord needed with seizure like symptoms of her neck and head. I also don't understand why she would be the only one suffering from this and not my other nine ducks that live in the same area she does.

Well you said her legs aren't working and she is trying to move with wings. Also she is the weakest duck after having recovered from a puncture wound. Perhaps a secondary bacterial or viral infection, but it seems too long since the injury. I would find a vet. Do you have the book Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks by Holderread? It has a whole section of illnesses and diseases with in depth descriptions and treatments.

Hopefully someone else will find your thread and have a better more helpful suggestion

This is what made me think poison:

"Botulism poisons the duck, causing what's sometimes known as "Limberneck Disease." It causes paralysis, starting with the duck having trouble taking off or going under the water. The duck's legs will be paralyzed, and you may see the duck trying to move only with its wings. The duck's eyelids and neck will droop. The paralysis may also be accompanied by diarrhea.[1]"

I am thinking she was poisoned somehow. From what I've read botulism usually kills in a couple days. She has fits where she writhes and curls her neck and then will sometimes stretch her body out for a few moments. I have been giving her as much fluids as I can with electrolytes and molasses since I've read that can help flush toxins. I don't have nor have I ever used charcoal for livestock. She can drink a little on her own but mostly I use a syringe to squirt fluids in her mouth a little at a time. Her stool looks normal except for being a little watery but since she hasn't really been eating I'm thinking that is why her stool isn't more solid. In researching potential toxins in the area she lives in I wonder if she ingested honeysuckle. There's quite a bit of it in the area and I didn't think any of the ducks would touch it since I provide them with plenty of food.

I just thought I would leave an update on here. I spoke to my vet and she recommended penicillin to treat botulism which is what she believed my duck Tiffany has. I gave her the first shot last night she threw up shortly after and wouldn't eat or drink anything. I have not been able to keep her still and she thrashed last night and injured her eye and wing. I'm certain she won't make it through the day . It breaks my heart to see her suffer after spending the last two months with her every day . After she has passed I will surely post her to determine how she died . In the meantime I will try to make her as comfortable as possible. I only wish there had been more support in my area. My vet has little to no experience with birds.

I'm so so sorry. Poor ducky. I thought there was an antitoxin for botulism. I've been dealing with a goose hatchling that has not been healthy since I got her. It's so hard. I've taken 2 of my ducks in to see the vet, they don't do birds either. One told me the only birds she'd ever seen before were already dead! The nearest avian vet for me is over 200 miles away.

I'm so so sorry. Poor ducky. I thought there was an antitoxin for botulism. I've been dealing with a goose hatchling that has not been healthy since I got her. It's so hard. I've taken 2 of my ducks in to see the vet, they don't do birds either. One told me the only birds she'd ever seen before were already dead! The nearest avian vet for me is over 200 miles away.
My poor duck Tiffany passed away. I ended up calling every vet clinic in the area and no one knew of a way to get the antitoxin for botulism. I am posting her to determine her exact cause of death.

Back
Top Bottom