Duck is very lethargic.

DeannaMari

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 3, 2013
I have a duck that seems to be very weak. Our ducks are all friendly, but they don't like being picked up. We have one though that is acting really lethargic. She usually quacks at us and runs away when we try to pick her up, but she is just sitting in the grass and will let you walk up to her to pick her. She doesn't even quack any more, she just like make a sound like when a cat is throwing up a hair ball like she can't quack. She is really weak and has difficulty walking. Is there any idea of what could be wrong of her?

We had another duck that we killed a few days ago because it couldn't walk, but it didn't show the same symptoms that she does. Like she can walk, but she just is very weak and slow. The other one's curl got all curled up and it couldn't open up it's foot.

Also we have one male that is always trying to mate her along with our other females and I'm scared that they are too young to be mating with him. They are about 4 months old maybe a little younger, and we don't know how old he is but he is interested with all the girls and our other male ducks don't show any interest.

She is also a magpie, I don't know if that will help, but maybe. Any idea on how to help her is very much appreciated.

She may have a respiratory infection. If you can get her to a vet, that is best.

Separate her from the others in a clean, dry, quiet place with plenty of fresh water and food. Put a tablespoon of activated charcoal supplement (not briquettes for cooking, use the supplement) in a half gallon of water. It absorbs toxins, in case that's the problem.

Does she feel skinny? How long has she been acting this way?

If the male has been mating with them too much, that could well be the problem. Separate him, if you can. Her voice could be damaged if he has been rough on her neck. Is she missing neck feathers?

We'll try separating her, and giving her the supplement. Could you suggest some places that would be sold? Like do they sell it at feed stores?

She's only been acting this way for like a few hours.

I don't think she's missing any neck feathers, but she is very weak and she's his favorite.

We'll try separating her, and giving her the supplement. Could you suggest some places that would be sold? Like do they sell it at feed stores?

She's only been acting this way for like a few hours.

I don't think she's missing any neck feathers, but she is very weak and she's his favorite.
I am beginning to feel his attention is the problem.

Activated charcoal is a dietary supplement and may be found in pharmacies. Call first. It's good to have on hand. And it won't hurt. It is used to detox overdose patients sometimes.

Something else to consider is poultry vitamins with electrolytes and probiotics. That should be at the feed store. Depends on the store. At least vitamins. ACV has electrolytes, and you can put a tablespoon of plain yogurt with live cultures in a cup of milk and offer that.

I know some of our feed stores have the vitamins. If you really feel as if his attention is the favorite, we're going to have to kill him. We didn't really like him that much anyway. What's the point in having a buff drake without any buff hens?

Maybe we'll try separating her and giving her the stuff to see if she gets any better. I'll have to journey into town tomorrow to get that stuff.

Before you do him in, give it a few days. I am making suggestions based on what you have told me. I am not there, and if my guess is wrong, why kill him?

It is possible she has a respiratory infection, as I wrote earlier, so don't rule that out. If that is the case she needs oral antibiotics right away, and that is where a veterinarian would be helpful.

There are some threads on the BYC that cover what some people have used. I don't know enough to suggest anything specific at this point, off the top of my head.

Hope everything works out well. Please keep us posted.

Well I separated her out, and we are going to get to the store tomorrow to give her stuff, since most of the pharmacies around here are closed, and any vets that would do ducks. Tomorrow morning I am going to go in and get her some of the medicine and give it to her.

I have a duck that seems to be very weak. Our ducks are all friendly, but they don't like being picked up. We have one though that is acting really lethargic. She usually quacks at us and runs away when we try to pick her up, but she is just sitting in the grass and will let you walk up to her to pick her. She doesn't even quack any more, she just like make a sound like when a cat is throwing up a hair ball like she can't quack. She is really weak and has difficulty walking. Is there any idea of what could be wrong of her?

We had another duck that we killed a few days ago because it couldn't walk, but it didn't show the same symptoms that she does. Like she can walk, but she just is very weak and slow. The other one's curl got all curled up and it couldn't open up it's foot.

Also we have one male that is always trying to mate her along with our other females and I'm scared that they are too young to be mating with him. They are about 4 months old maybe a little younger, and we don't know how old he is but he is interested with all the girls and our other male ducks don't show any interest.

She is also a magpie, I don't know if that will help, but maybe. Any idea on how to help her is very much appreciated.
I think Amiga hit it right on the head. Get some activated charcoal from your pharmacy!!! This is something you want on hand anyways with ducks. Trust me...after losing 2 to Botulism, you need this at all times! Ducks don't always 'get' what they should eat and what they should not.

I would also try Duramycin-10, 1/2 tbls. per gallon of water, just in case of infection. You can get this at most farm supply stores or a Tractor Supply store, As I learned from Amiga, if a duck is showing signs of sickness....believe me, it's very sick! It sounds to me as if their vitamin intake is off. Are you adding a niacin supplement to their water daily? Ducks and actually any waterfowl need the extra niacin that isn't supplied by most of the feed out there. Look at what you are feeding and give a vitamin in their water daily. Giving the activated charcoal, once, is only going to help and then follow up with the extra naicin and vitamins supplementation in their water and she should be fine.

I wouldn't kill the drake....it's not his fault. He shouldn't be with females this young unless he has his own, in the group, that are his 'age' to be with. Drakes are driven to fullfill their directive and that is to procreate, no matter what. Keep him away from the young girls and all should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom