duck issue/ please help

Abradley642

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2019
I got 2 ducks in march. I really enjoyed raising them. They ended up both being males. One is a mallard the other was just a white male. My white male got prolapsed phallus. I took him to the vet , they stitched him and sent him home. when he got home it was already back out. I called the vet, they said they may have to remove on monday but then on saturday , the duck started convulsions. I had wandered if he had the duck plague, I read about it on line. A bird vet near by told me not possible, there are not that many cases. I only had the 2 ducks and they were not around any other ducks. We had to put the duck down and I am extremely sad. My mallard is of course very lonely, he hangs with us but I was considering ordering a female mallard. How will my duck act towards a baby? Also have you heard of any duck plague cases. I am in south Carolina, The duck just died saturday, i was also worried that if it was that my other duck could have it. I know this has several questions but I am just concerned and I do want to get my duck a new play,mate. .

I got 2 ducks in march. I really enjoyed raising them. They ended up both being males. One is a mallard the other was just a white male. My white male got prolapsed phallus. I took him to the vet , they stitched him and sent him home. when he got home it was already back out. I called the vet, they said they may have to remove on monday but then on saturday , the duck started convulsions. I had wandered if he had the duck plague, I read about it on line. A bird vet near by told me not possible, there are not that many cases. I only had the 2 ducks and they were not around any other ducks. We had to put the duck down and I am extremely sad. My mallard is of course very lonely, he hangs with us but I was considering ordering a female mallard. How will my duck act towards a baby? Also have you heard of any duck plague cases. I am in south Carolina, The duck just died saturday, i was also worried that if it was that my other duck could have it. I know this has several questions but I am just concerned and I do want to get my duck a new play,mate. .

Why would you want more mallards? Mallards are obnoxious. Get Rouen ducks, they look like mallards, they are larger and they have much better temperament. However you should first sort out what went wrong with your dead male bird before introducing new ducks.

yea I am , I am going back to the vet tomorrow, I was just going to get a mallard bc the one I have is a mallard. He is really sweet , follows us around everywhere. but I guess it could be a rouen duck, we were brand new to ducks when we got our 2.

Well don't believe everything you read and with that said I'm not thinking your bird had that but suffered infection from his prolapsed penis.

Well don't believe everything you read and with that said I'm not thinking your bird had that but suffered infection from his prolapsed penis.
Yea i know, i mean the vet stitched it up friday and as soon as I got home it came out. I called back they said should be fine bring him back in on monday . We were very close to our 2 ducks, they were our pets. I was devastated saturday when he started having convulsions. My heart was broke and the male that I have left is lonely, follows us everywhere. I really want another baby bc we can bond with it but I also want my male duck to like the new addition. I am not one that has a whole flock, I just wanted a pair. I am so torn.

Yea i know, i mean the vet stitched it up friday and as soon as I got home it came out. I called back they said should be fine bring him back in on monday . We were very close to our 2 ducks, they were our pets. I was devastated saturday when he started having convulsions. My heart was broke and the male that I have left is lonely, follows us everywhere. I really want another baby bc we can bond with it but I also want my male duck to like the new addition. I am not one that has a whole flock, I just wanted a pair. I am so torn.
Well you can get a Duckling although you just don't know how that will turn out at all. I'd get him any breed of mature female Duck.

Back
Top Bottom