Duck issues...

A wanted to add a couple more things. With ducks and legs, swim therapy is a great way to strengthen them. You will want to be careful depending on how well your duck can hold itself up. You may end up needing to wait till it is stronger and it may take a while before you see improvement with the naicin. But putting it in a deep bath where it can float and still kicks it's legs can be a great way to work them out and build strength in the legs with the stress off added weight. I would start slow with swim therapy, but it can help a lot.

Here is also some information on tube feeding. I wouldn't usually recommend it if they are eating, but I would definitely get the supplies and have them on hand. The supplies are not always the easiest to find and when you need them, you often need them quickly.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-guide-pictures-under-construction.1064392/

The one reason I bring up tube feeding is, in my personal experience, I had a Pekin duck with a leg injury at like 5 weeks old. She ate a bit of food, but not enough. She eventually had a hard time holding her head up. We were unable to get supplies for tube feeding and lost her. So while your duck is eating, if it is not enough, it could need require this. If you do need to tube feed while your duck is eating, you should only likely need to do it as often with ducks who are not eating at all.

I am also going to tag @Miss Lydia on this, because she is also a great resource for issues like this.
I used swimming to help them build strength and it works great! Glad you brought that up!

A wanted to add a couple more things. With ducks and legs, swim therapy is a great way to strengthen them. You will want to be careful depending on how well your duck can hold itself up. You may end up needing to wait till it is stronger and it may take a while before you see improvement with the naicin. But putting it in a deep bath where it can float and still kicks it's legs can be a great way to work them out and build strength in the legs with the stress off added weight. I would start slow with swim therapy, but it can help a lot.

Here is also some information on tube feeding. I wouldn't usually recommend it if they are eating, but I would definitely get the supplies and have them on hand. The supplies are not always the easiest to find and when you need them, you often need them quickly.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-guide-pictures-under-construction.1064392/

The one reason I bring up tube feeding is, in my personal experience, I had a Pekin duck with a leg injury at like 5 weeks old. She ate a bit of food, but not enough. She eventually had a hard time holding her head up. We were unable to get supplies for tube feeding and lost her. So while your duck is eating, if it is not enough, it could need require this. If you do need to tube feed while your duck is eating, you should only likely need to do it as often with ducks who are not eating at all.

I am also going to tag @Miss Lydia on this, because she is also a great resource for issues like this.
Thank you so much for the information we really appreciate it.
I'll get the needed stuff, it's better to be safe than sorry.
I did weigh her out a half a pound of duck pellets and she did eat all of that and then some. Hoping to keep her on that diet.
I'll post back in a couple days to update.
Thank you again

She is 2 months old now and we were giving her both starter and duck together. She sleeps inside a dog igloo in our attached garage but we take her out to her sister each morning after we feed and water her to make sure she is getting enough food.
She spends her day out in the grass of our back yard. I'll try to upload a video of her walking. I can't figure out how to upload the video.
That’s feed could be part of the problem
The starter feed should only be till 3 weeks of age then up to grower
I add 1 tbs of nutritional yeast to every cup of feed till 10 weeks and still sprinkle it on my adult ducks feed
Pekins grow so fast that they need a bit of extra niacin and less protein ( starter feed).
It also could be an injury
Have you checked the bottom of her feet for bumble foot ?
What kind of niacin did you give and for how long ?

That’s feed could be part of the problem
The starter feed should only be till 3 weeks of age then up to grower
I add 1 tbs of nutritional yeast to every cup of feed till 10 weeks and still sprinkle it on my adult ducks feed
Pekins grow so fast that they need a bit of extra niacin and less protein ( starter feed).
It also could be an injury
Have you checked the bottom of her feet for bumble foot ?
What kind of niacin did you give and for how long ?
We are now giving her straight duck feed. She does not have bumble foot, the bottoms we've checked multiple times.
We have been giving her human grade Niacin sprinkled on her food. We open a 500mg capsule and sprinkle it over 8oz of food. Then we give her a heaping spoonful with her food every morning. We've been doing so for almost 3 weeks now.
I read they need 10mg per day and figure there are between 16-20 Tablespoons in the 8oz. of food so she should be getting between 25-35mg from the added supplement. I figured since it's water soluble it shouldn't hurt if she gets a little bit more.
I can definitely add nutritional yeast into her diet, I have that on hand. We can give that a try also. Hoping the mix of suggestions will cure our sweet girl of her issues.
Thanks for your suggestion!

We are now giving her straight duck feed. She does not have bumble foot, the bottoms we've checked multiple times.
We have been giving her human grade Niacin sprinkled on her food. We open a 500mg capsule and sprinkle it over 8oz of food. Then we give her a heaping spoonful with her food every morning. We've been doing so for almost 3 weeks now.
I read they need 10mg per day and figure there are between 16-20 Tablespoons in the 8oz. of food so she should be getting between 25-35mg from the added supplement. I figured since it's water soluble it shouldn't hurt if she gets a little bit more.
I can definitely add nutritional yeast into her diet, I have that on hand. We can give that a try also. Hoping the mix of suggestions will cure our sweet girl of her issues.
Could also try a multivitamin in case it’s something else
Look up D and calcium deficiency
Causes swelling in the leg
Soft bones and beak
They stop being able to walk and move
In that case you would give her a few drops of D vi sol on her beak or in her mix of feed
3 times a day you give only make one batch but break it into 3 meals
1 yolk scrambled
3 Tbs oats
1tsp honey
2tbs of plain yogurt

Could also try a multivitamin in case it’s something else
Look up D and calcium deficiency
Causes swelling in the leg
Soft bones and beak
They stop being able to walk and move
In that case you would give her a few drops of D vi sol on her beak or in her mix of feed
3 times a day you give only make one batch but break it into 3 meals
1 yolk scrambled
3 Tbs oats
1tsp honey
2tbs of plain yogurt
Here is the list of symptoms

Attachments

• F4983955-D4D3-476C-AF26-D90879EDB76A.jpeg
    F4983955-D4D3-476C-AF26-D90879EDB76A.jpeg
    54.7 KB · Views: 6
The brewers yeast will definitely not hurt and is definitely great at preventing any niacin deficiency issues. The vitamin b complex is the best for helping treat it once that issue appears. Any excess niacin is peed out. So feel free using both.

That is great to hear it has a healthy appetite though! Sometimes when they get issues like this the eat less. That is good you don't have that issue.

Back
Top Bottom