Duck Keeps falling

Wherethechickensat

In the Brooder
Sep 2, 2017
Harlem, GA
this has been an on and off issue. Only two of my ducks are doing this both are Swedish ducks. One du k has gotten better for a while now and the current duck does it a couple days then good for two weeks then off again. They are about 30 weeks feed Purina later with added brewers yeast, greens, kelp and flax. They live in a 20x40 foot run that is cleaned weekly. Have gone to the vet multiple times and they can’t figure it out. Sure that it is not seizures and isn’t any forgiven body or metal in the body. She stands still stretches her neck out, tail goes down, legs shake and her wings go out to hold her body up. She uses the wings to help her get to me and she lays in my lap. She gets back up within five minutes but still seems a tad off such as not wanting to roam and eat. generally, after the first time she goes down she will go down multiple more times specially after she eats anything.

Video below
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/vi...deos/10156663750860498/&show_text=0&width=267" width="267" height="476" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

That's very strange. Could it be a balance problem? I do know most ducks trip and fall a lot and never learn where those same rocks that tripped them before are. Also I saw someone else posting with the same issue and someones comment seemed to really help them. I will leave it quoted below. Good luck!
Sounds like a niacin deficiency. Commercial feed usually does not contain enough for ducks, while it is perfect for chicken. Go to Albertsons or your pharmacy and get Niacin, also known as vitamin B3 or nicotinic acid. Do not get the no flush, reduced flush, flush free, or slow release version of it. Walmart does not have the correct one, so don't bother looking there.
Next you mix 100mg per gallon of drinking water. Give that to them for one week and then give to them one or twice per month to prevent it from happening again.

That's very strange. Could it be a balance problem? I do know most ducks trip and fall a lot and never learn where those same rocks that tripped them before are. Also I saw someone else posting with the same issue and someones comment seemed to really help them. I will leave it quoted below. Good luck!
Thank you yeah it’s not rocks. I add brewers yeast but it may not be enough. So I’m going to try to make some changes and hope for the best. I find it really hard to believe that it would constantly be botulism or poisioning as I don’t treat with chemicals or anything but I guess you just never know.

Just because you have had them to the vet and they don't know. Maybe try giving them a liquid B complex for a while and see if that does anything. You can get liquid B complex at TSC in the cattle dept it will say injectable but can be given orally 1 ml per duck daily. Could just be a nutrient deficiency and starting with the Liquid B Complex may help. You should see a difference in less than a week.

Just because you have had them to the vet and they don't know. Maybe try giving them a liquid B complex for a while and see if that does anything. You can get liquid B complex at TSC in the cattle dept it will say injectable but can be given orally 1 ml per duck daily. Could just be a nutrient deficiency and starting with the Liquid B Complex may help. You should see a difference in less than a week.
Thank you I got a liquid b complex and also niacin pills to try. maybe the brewers yeast just isnt doing it.

I'd just do the Liquid B complex it has niacin in it more than brewers yeast. If you can get them to take it over something like dried meal worms or thawed peas it will work faster than mixing with water which will water it down. Sure hope it helps. Shaky legs is a symptom of a niacin deficiency but all the B's combined have really proven to help when given this year. I know some will say well these ducks are 30 weeks old already this usually happens to much younger duckling, but it's still worth a shot. Hopefully it will do it.

Back
Top Bottom