Please Help! Baby call duck keeps falling on back

Katakornchicks

Songster
Oct 6, 2021
I just got a new call duck yesterday. Someone gave her away for free... Which is already a bit suspicious. They told me she was 4 months old but she looks only about a month and a half... Anyways. Besides being extremely dirty when I got her, she seemed ok. She was running around and such. But the next day, I found her stuck on her back in a mud puddle. I lifted her up, rinsed her off, then put her upright. I looked over a few minutes later and she was on her back again. What should I do? I raise chickens but I know considerably less about ducks. I have everyone on 19% chick feed right now, because I have some chickens molting and some pullets mixed in the bunch. The other adult ducks seem fine with it too.

Attachments

• PXL_20230823_171403883~2.jpg
    PXL_20230823_171403883~2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 187
Is the chick feed medicated? (ducks cant have medicated kind)
Are you giving the duckling niacin (nutritional yeast or brewers yeast)

I just got a new call duck yesterday. Someone gave her away for free... Which is already a bit suspicious. They told me she was 4 months old but she looks only about a month and a half... Anyways. Besides being extremely dirty when I got her, she seemed ok. She was running around and such. But the next day, I found her stuck on her back in a mud puddle. I lifted her up, rinsed her off, then put her upright. I looked over a few minutes later and she was on her back again. What should I do? I raise chickens but I know considerably less about ducks. I have everyone on 19% chick feed right now, because I have some chickens molting and some pullets mixed in the bunch. The other adult ducks seem fine with it too.
pxl_20230823_171403883-2-jpg.3617423
Every now and them I get one like that and they "grow out of it". Can you put it in a safe place until it stops flipping over? If they flip over in the sun or mud, that can kill them.

I'd do like the others suggested and give it some brewers yeast and B vitamins.

Is the chick feed medicated? (ducks cant have medicated kind)
Actually, this is not true. The medicated chick starter made now is perfectly safe for all waterfowl. @Pyxis wrote an article about it here:
Feeding Ducklings Medicated Feed - The Myths and the Truth

Feeding Ducklings Medicated Feed - The Myths and the Truth The Myth There is a rather pervasive myth about feeding ducklings and ducks floating around out there. You will see it posted on forums, maybe on signs in feed stores, and, unfortunately, perhaps even touted by some older...

Actually, this is not true. The medicated chick starter made now is perfectly safe for all waterfowl. @Pyxis wrote an article about it here:

Feeding Ducklings Medicated Feed - The Myths and the Truth The Myth There is a rather pervasive myth about feeding ducklings and ducks floating around out there. You will see it posted on forums, maybe on signs in feed stores, and, unfortunately, perhaps even touted by some older...
awesome thanks thats great to know!!

Every now and them I get one like that and they "grow out of it". Can you put it in a safe place until it stops flipping over? If they flip over in the sun or mud, that can kill them.

I'd do like the others suggested and give it some brewers yeast and B vitamins.
Idk what brewers yeast is, where do I get that? And I have vitamin B12 "rooster booster" will that work?

Back
Top Bottom